James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Darkness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Members' own work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: The Darkness Reply with quote

Garaen knelt in the shadows, his worn black leather armour comfortable against his skin and he waits for his mark to come home. The building he rests against has been delapidated for only a short while yet it looks like it will fall soon a good testiment to the skill of its builders. A chill autumn evening has settled onto the ground causing him to shiver slightly to keep warm. He has been at rest for several hours and as yet his mark, his victim has not arrived. Why the man has annoyed his master is not Garaen's to know nor does he care save that any information he has can only aid the kill.

A small lizard skirtters across the ground in front of him and despite knowing that one bite from it will cause his muscles to bunch and casue his heart to fail he does not move as it stops on his foot. Most people would have shied away from a screamer, as they are known, but not Garaen, moving would have given away his position and ruined any chance he would have had at making the shot. for many beats of his heart the lizard sits there resting on his foot and Garaen stares at it willing it to leave until finally it skitters off. Garean blows out a small sigh of relief, carefull not to send clouds of air out which would have given away his position to any watchers.

With small gentle movements Garaen shifts position and places his hand on the polished wooden crossbow next to him. The string at rest and the bolt still wrapped in its protected case, he wonders why he has to watch this badly damaged building. In its past it was the Rookery, the place where the Raven called home, where King Sol lived before he became King but not now, now it is just a run down building amid other's of its kind awaiting the work that was surely coming.

Garaen knew that time was of the esscence but if his mark did not show he would have to wait until he did despite how long that took. Why did his Master wanted Denser dead, he mused. Denser of the Raven, the Dawnthief Mage, father of the Nightchild and survivor of the Four college massacre. A slight shift in position again told him his throwing blades were tucked into their sheathes in the sholder harness and he knew that if the bolt did not do as described and Kill Denser in seconds he would have less time than that to get to them and send them thudding into the mans chest. The fact that Denser had survived when so many of the Raven had not was a testimony to his great skill and mastery over his magic but that wouldn't stop the bolt from doing his work.

Hopefully.

As the Darkness settles over the damaged buildings Garaen begins to prepare for the mission. He knows that Denser is coming to meet someone important but that is not his concern. Denser must die and not for the first time garaen wonders if he is up to the task. The Black Wings failed, the Wytchlords failed who was he to succeed. Nighttime has come now and the chill that has been settling into the ground is now fully entrenced in Garaens mind. Doubt plagues his mind as he reviews his mission. Knowledge is everything and he knows he is missing several vital pieces of information. Most importantly he needs to know why? What has the Xetsek Mage done that has so infuriated the one man who could protect him. Why did King Sol want Denser dead.

Then it hit him. He didn't he wanted Garaen dead.

He was so wrapped up in his own thoughts that Garaen didn't see the man land gently behind him, nor the ShadowWings vanish. Garaen didn't hear or feel the soft steps as the Mage wlked up to him he only felt the FlamePalm as it seared into him.

Then he felt nothing else.

Denser looked up grimly before remaking his ShadowWings and launching himself off into the night. One down, many more to go.

Last edited by Mantyluoto on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was sat here watching the forum this morning and i saw this empty topic and i thought that it needed a story to start it off.

Here you go guys, i hope i dont offend too many of you with my little attempt.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh... you may have started something he sir! Or is it best left as it is I wonder... *ponders*
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add to it if you wish, or do something new. I'm not sure what James would think about people writing about his creations but i wanted to put something here in this forum as it was all lonely... 1 2 3 ahhhhh Smile
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just reread this and i wish my grammer was better, and my tenses correct.

sigh! i think i'll stick to playing D&D, this righting lark is hard work!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Members' own work All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: