James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

StoryCode on Dragon's Den!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ry_Darrick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: StoryCode on Dragon's Den! Reply with quote

This is something which might interest a few people.

James wrote about StoryCode on his journal a while ago, here's what he said:

"Just a quick note about www.storycode.com.

It's been set up by an old friend of mine, Dave Mutton, in concert with a team of people he's worked with over many years of internet business.

In essence, for readers, it's a way of getting recommendations for books to read. We've all been there. Wondering what to read when we've turned the last page of a really superb book. Well, in StoryCode, you can enter the name of that book and pick up recommendations of other books you might like. Parameters are based on plot, character, atmosphere, age... many things too numerous to mention.

But it needs reader input (no such thing as a free lunch, right?) Readers code the books they have read to build up the database. The more people who code, the more comprehensive the database and the more accurate the recommendations.

Get along and take a look. Doesn't take long to code a book. Support it now and you'll benefit in the long run... And it's a bloody good idea."

A few weeks ago the founder (or at least that's what it said on the show) was on Dragon's Den trying to raise funds for the project. Unfortunately he came out with nothing, but he made a good go of it.

Luckily someone has put that exact scene onto YouTube, so here you go:

StoryCode - Dragon's Den

Discussion open!
Malop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story code is something I've looked at in the past and do like the look of.

As soon as I've read the 50 or so books in my pile I'll go over and have a look.
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought StoryCode was good until I tried using it - it's sooooo long-winded it's incredible. You can spend 30 mins and more just inputting the stuff for one book! Rolling Eyes
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StoryCode continues to develop. It really is an excellent recommendations system but ti does need the help of readers.

Please, do code all the fiction books you read. doesn't take long and each one you do makes the database more accurate and relevant - I think young Drizzt had teething troubles... You'll get some interesting recommendations when you do but go with them... anytihng over 80% is an really good match and worth looking at even if it is in a totally different genre.
Ry_Darrick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the site personally, but I think the amount of money he was asking for was way over the top, as much as I understand that they want money to pay for salaries, just watching one episode of Dragon's Den would have told you that they NEVER invest in something which needs money for salaries. However, on the upside, like most of the products and ideas on the show that don't make it, the publicity is fantastic, the youtube video has now been watched around 2,700 times, I bet the site has seen a huge increase in traffic since the show has aired.
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to hold my hand up and admit i've never actually tried this site, but it does sound pretty cool.
Lizzy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've coded some books and will continue to do so. The trouble is Amazon does a recommendation service too and I am not convinced Storycode can get enough recognition up against Amazon.

Hope it does and I have recommended it on some other forums

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon's recommendation service, i've found really isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: