James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's winning the Premiership Title?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which team is going to win the title?
Chelsea
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Man Utd
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Arsenal
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Liverpool
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Other...
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look at Leeds!
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but money is playing a bigger and bigger part of this now and certain clubs are pulling away.
Ry_Darrick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmenion, I can't get on the arsenal ticket site , or the arsenal site for that matter, but I'm told that tickets for the portsmouth game are on sale to red members now, so your wife should try and get in there soon...
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers buddy
Ry_Darrick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they've already sold out, that was quicker than i thought it would be, but I can't be sure how long they were available for, I'd say it was longer than a couple of hours, but I think the site probably got way too busy, because I couldnt even visit the page all day...

I'll probs be signing up to red membership next season, even if I dont use it, I want to be able to get onto the list, and then ill be silver and will have the chance of a season ticket when im much older...
Max Power

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmenion wrote:
so what can be done to level the playing field?

move the ultra money teams into a euro league? or set limits on seasonal spending?

I don't think anything can be done. Money has always spoken in football, it's just more pronounced now than it ever has been because of Russian oligarchs! The best players will always go to the best teams and/or the teams with money. There is always the chance that managers like Allardyce, Curbishley, O'Neill (or even the red faced Scot whose name I won't mention) can haul a team from the doldrums and over-achieve but look at the 80s; if it wasn't Liverpool winning the league it was Everton. There's never really been more than a four-horse race that I can remember, apart from the season Blackburn won it (92?) and when Norwich and Newcastle briefly threatened at times in the 90s before falling back to their proper level (ducks Selik's axe Razz )
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Power wrote:

and when Norwich and Newcastle briefly threatened at times in the 90s before falling back to their proper level (ducks Selik's axe Razz )[/quote]

Neh, i'll let you off this time Wink ... you are of course right, though I am loath to admit it. lol.
I still say it was wrong to sack Sir Bobby. After a couple of seasons of bad luck they just sack the manager... don't give them a chance really.
We didn't do too badly when he first arrived and then we went downhill a bit, but to be honest we've not had much luck since Kevin Keagan left. Sad
Parmenion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ry
another problem for the wife is that she is a red member and im not...i dont care im not a gooner!! so she never has anyone to go with!!

at least you have a mate to go with , and me id go on my own if i was a fan, but she wont...its all a flipping con these days, at least i can see an oxford match when ever i want..
Ry_Darrick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with my brother, but I would go by myself if I had to, I can understand why your wife wouldnt though. It's a lot of effort, plus the cost of everything is huge! With travel + ticket match days are usually about ?90 for me, which isn't easy to pay when you only have a paper round.

The thing is if you are not a fan, its way too expensive to buy a ticket and membership just to keep someone company. At the start of the season a number of tickets went on general sale, you could try at the start of next season?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Sport All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: