James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Other races and monsters in Raven books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Other races and monsters in Raven books Reply with quote

So after all these years it occurred to me the other day that the Raven books don't contain any of the other staples of fantasy worlds.

Aside from Elves and Dragons there aren't any other races or monsters. No Dwarves or Orcs and no sign of halflings.

Was just wondering if that was intentional and if they exist but aren't in the books or don't exist at all?
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
daysierose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t forget the demons and the Garonin!

I’m a bit new to the genre, myself. I’m currently reading a series full of different races and monsters. I have to admit that it’s exciting, but there’s something that I really like about the way Barclay delves so deeply into the realms and creatures he’s created. Instead of a scene where everyone fights a dragon, we get a rich description of their world and the social interactions between the different races of dragons. Instead of someone in the party just being an elf, we get a description of what it’s like to be an elf among men, and then we learn about their realm and theology. Imagine how long each book would be if he’d thrown in orcs, dwarves, minotaurs, unicorns…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> The Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: