James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kids don't you just love them!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing about bike sheds Jen? Wink

Family give the inital foundation for behaviour then early school life. Teachers have little or no powers to stop a fight and if they do they generally get battered after!!
Jen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or have a knife pulled on them Evil or Very Mad

children are raising children so its no wonder that morals are just all wrong these days.

Quote:
Nothing about bike sheds Jen?

what do you take me for Shocked
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

behind the bike sheds is a thing of the past that was where you snuck a kiss or sometimes for the bold a copped a feel, or smoked a fag...these days they dont care they do it in front of the teacher and tell him or her to F off if they comment
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*looks innocent* who me!!

agreed, but its the easy way. benefits and housing.
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen wrote:
Oh Manty! (stop tempting fate Wink )
To be entirely honest when I think of parents smacking their children I'm remembering the amazingly countless times that I've seen very young mums and dads walloping their kids round the head because they wouldn't stand still and wait while they finished texting/having a fag/chatting and swearing with their mates (pick any I've seen them all! plus feeding babies coca cola in bottles!!)

Now that I do agree with. And that's not the type of smacking i'm condoning at all. It seems odd saying there're differing types of smacking but there are.
As Driz said earlier, it wasn't merely a smack it was a rebuke that flowed in line with a strict upbringing. (Which it seems many people see as unloving and I can vouch for the fact that nothing could be further from the truth).
A lot of smacking does seem to happen with young mums slapping their babies and kids for speaking and that's totally unnecessary, especially since it's the behaviour of the parents in the first place which is out of order, the kids' reaction is natural. (I know at the age of three I wouldn't have wanted to stand on a cold street corner at 9pm whilst people were shouting and swearing).
There seems to be a lot of repeated hitting. That's definately something I don't agree with. Once is enough, and it doesn't even have to be hard, which many people i've spoken with about this seem to think it should be.

With a couple of kids and my nephew if they're smacked on their backside, it's not hard, it's enough to cause indignation, not crying. It's surprise rather than pain.
If I ever thought that a child was scared of me for that reason I wouldn't do it.
Lizzy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go back to discipline in schools, where did it all change? I ask this because when I went to school, which was a loooong time ago, teachers were not allowed to hit pupils but we had respect for them. Detentions were taken seriously and being expelled taken very seriously.

Now I hear that people wear their ASBO's as medals.....

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial

Last edited by Lizzy on Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
DeathJunior

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Society as a whole has grown soft. Parents are too young, too forgiving and because of this children take advantage. A child knows when it's getting a good deal, I mean it, my brother is an utter brat, and when mum tells him off he just has this smug look on his face that says "yeah whatever, I'm gonna get away with it anyway" and he's five, he gets away lightly with so much stuff it's surprising, kicks everyone in the house, hits, and from a brothers perspective I can see it's because the parents are too soft, there's also the thing that they get more annoyed with a crying child so they just let it get away with it so there isn't any hassle. Which is wrong as well. A child should be told off and not forgiven until they finish crying by themselves without cajoling from the parent. It just doesn't work, but it's the same with the criminal justice system, we're too soft on criminals, which could also relate to the ASBO thing. But that could be a different debate. Anyway as I said, Todays society is way too soft.

www.myspace.com/djjaines
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DJJaines
Dan Jaines a walking dictionary of Danisms
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me started on the justice system!!

I agree on the crying point especially, there. It often happens when parents with small kids are out, the kids will kick up a fuss and start howling for what they want, so the parents give the kid what it wants cos they're embarrassed by the attention the kid is causing.
It seems that some people feel then that their reactions are being watched by everyone.

Also on the society note, it seems to have been a slow decline in schools, from the harsh, to non harsh with respect, to no respect whatsoever.
Grace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, controversy! Good thread.

I was smacked when I was younger (though not in recent years, I'm bigger than both of my parents now Twisted Evil ) and it isn't that that has made me so terrified of my mother (and I'm still scared of her). I was always more scared of her verbal retaliation (sp?) because my parents were incredibly strict. The rules of the house were upheld with an iron will and a horribly incisive tongue. Smacking was only one discipline method and didn't bother me, because it did hurt but it wasn't like they were breaking my legs or something. That would be abuse, which i agree is utterly unforgivable. There is a difference. It was the verbal rebukes, not the physical ones, that really made me toe the line.

I think that the issues of bad parenting and smacking are separate. Parents who smack their kids are not necessarily bad parents. The problem is that many parents don't discipline their children, or worse don't care that they're out of order. Smacking should be used in addition to, not instead of, other methods of discipline.

I have grown up to be very moral, and find that, despite most of them being older than me, i feel older and more responsible than most of the yobs who go out drinking and causing trouble. I'm turning into one of those sour old women before my time I'm sure.

I think teachers should have the power to give unruly kids a whack with a ruler if they wont respond to warnings. (bear in mind I'm still at school, so this would put me in line for it as well.) Classes are often disrupted, the History lesson I've just left being a perfect example. Half of the class were late and then messed about. The teacher cannot do anything about it.
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
Wow, controversy! Good thread.

I think that the issues of bad parenting and smacking are separate. Parents who smack their kids are not necessarily bad parents. The problem is that many parents don't discipline their children, or worse don't care that they're out of order. Smacking should be used in addition to, not instead of, other methods of discipline.

I have grown up to be very moral, and find that, despite most of them being older than me, i feel older and more responsible than most of the yobs who go out drinking and causing trouble. I'm turning into one of those sour old women before my time I'm sure.

That's exactly right! So many people do tend to use smacking as the only type of discipline and it has no effect on the kids whatsoever, only to make them more badly behaved.

Oh, and I know what you mean about the sour old woman thing. You find yourself walking through the streets muttering angrily about the youth of today! Razz
Parmenion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my primary school was a roman chatholic school, run by NUNS...these were little ladies in habits...but boy did they get respect they ruled that school with an metal edged ruler...you did not mess with them...they literaly put the fear of god in you!!
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, Religious schools. Fortunately the one I went to didn't have nuns, and they didn't put the fear of god into you, they just stood there preaching and handing out punishment to people who didn't believe. Evil or Very Mad

I once got made an example of in front of the whole school in assembly, because my hands weren't put together properly for praying.... I was 4!!!
Parmenion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 and not praying right they should have smacked your legs youg lady!!
Lizzy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it terribly sad that the potential parents of the future here, think it is ok to use smacking as a form of discipline.

Hopefully the links below may give you pause for thought.

http://www.childrenareunbeatable.org.uk/pages/advice.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/252607.stm

As an analogy I want to tell you about training puppies.

Scenario 1: The puppy that jumps up all the time. You turn and walk away, you ignore it. When the puppy stops jumping up and sits you praise the puppy and give it the attention it craves. In a very short space of time puppy will learn that if he sits quietly he gets all the praise and attention he wants. If he jumps up and demands attention he gets ignored. So the desired behaviour is positively reinforced and the puppy gets happy hormones released when he does the right thing. Research has shown this type of learning is quicker and longer lasting resulting in further training being easier.

Scenario 2: The puppy jumps up and gets a tap on the nose and told no. Puppy is confused and jumps up again, gets further more forceful taps on the nose and shouted at. One of two things can happen. Puppy continues to jump up because jumping up gets a response from the person and therefore attention which the puppy wants. Or the puppy gets scared and fear responses are evoked. The puppy stops jumping up but has negative hormones released, relatiing to fear and stress, cortisol levels rise. The puppy may learn not to jump up but it is learnt through fear. Further learning is harder and also in extreme cases with certain temperaments fear aggression develops.

It's not so different really...

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i look at the yobs on the streets and i think that they all deserve a good hiding. does that make me a bad person or does it make me a victim for societies lack of respect.

when i was 15 or 16 i wouldn't dare hand about on the streets, i certainly wouldn't speak to people the way the teenagers do today. i'd have gotten a right bollocking if i had.

maybe discipline of some come, National service or the like is the way to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Sport All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: