James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robin Hood - BBC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Robin Hood - BBC Reply with quote

I have to ask is anyone actually still watching it?

I catch bits of it, but I'm normally so frustrated with the fact that nothing is gritty enough, or exciting ,or surprising that I soon change the channel again.

if you do watch it what is it that you like about it? and if like me you wanted to but just don't what is it that put you off?
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and to be honest I am more of an avid viewer now than I was when it started. Didn't rate it at all, thought it was all a bit cheesy and juvenile but it has definitely got better. Robin is still a pansy (thanks Fafnir) but Gisborne and the Sheriff are great - the Sheriff who was a joke to start with has got some much better lines these days and both have now become more believable characters - it's a shame the merry men haven't done likewise! Very Happy
Tk421

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still watch it and enjoy it. Mostly cos it's just harmless tv like The A-Team was and frankly I'm growing bored of gritty real life drama and reality tv everywhere.
Mark D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tk421 wrote:
and frankly I'm growing bored of gritty real life drama and reality tv everywhere.

the people that go on these shows are becoming so outrageous in my opinion. if it keeps going like this they will ending up just filming a prison for the next big brother. The shows have been stretched much further than they should have gone.

Havent caught any of Robin Hood actually, is it as good as the original?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to bear in mind is that Robin Hood is aimed at a pre-water shed childrens market, the same as Doctor Who. The appeal to adults is almost a side effect, hence gritty realistic violence is a big no no.

Is it reasonable to assume that in todays world parents sit and watch TV with their children or use the time for their own thing?
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
Jen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family entertainment is meant to be enjoyed by the entire family I believe.

I know that Robin Hood is for family veiwing I just would have liked an adult version Smile

Reality TV is truely awful, if I want to watch people going about there daily buisness I can sit in a coffee shop and look out the window.
Fry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I was really excited when I heard they were making Robin Hood.

Now though, I have to admit to being very disappointed. I appreciate that it's in the family entertainment slot, but I too would've liked a more mature version of what is really a potentially very dark story. Sad
Grace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite blatant inaccuracies and misguided attempts to modernise, I was watching this with a reasonable degree of enjoyment. However, my dad forgot to tape the last few, and he forgot torchwood too! Mad Honestly, you just can't get the staff these days...
Fry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Torchwood could be a good example of what could have been done to Robin Hood.

Maybe they should do a similar thing with Robin Hood that they did with Doctor Who.

A kind of more mature version of Robin Hood for a 10pm showing like Torchwood.

Keep 7pm Robin Hood for the family audience and run simultaneously a 10pm version for the adults Smile
Tk421

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do a similar thing with the WWE on sky. when they dhow it during the day they remove the ott violence and any blood then you get the late night showings that they keep it in. And I do agree it could work with Robin Hood. I'm curious though, does anyone think we've just been so desensitised to sex and violence in tv that if it's not there now we sort of feel cheated perhaps?
Grace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tk421 wrote:
I'm curious though, does anyone think we've just been so desensitised to sex and violence in tv that if it's not there now we sort of feel cheated perhaps?

I feel a debate coming on...

I think that we expect it these days, which is something of a sad state of affairs in itself, but that's not to say that we feel cheated without it. If there's no violence it's a refreshing change.
Max Power

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin Hood has got better I think, and as long as you remember it's family entertainment, I think it hits the spot. It does waver between drama and semi-farce a little too much for me. Remember the three hangings, and then watch the really incompetent guards in all the other shows (remind you of "Maid Marrion and her merry men"?!)
sir robin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do agree with it getting better. Also there have been some moments to surgest how nasty the Sheriff came be.
Denser1976

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean Robin of Sherwood.....loved it as a kid and bought it 3 years ago on dvd......still think its great...will try to watch it again with my wife this christmas...

http://johnmarco.web-log.nl

http://ldsvideos.web-log.nl
Grace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, the new one on BBC 1 at the moment. (Though the old Robin of Sherwood was excellent.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: