James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ryder Cup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Ryder Cup Reply with quote

3 weeks to go to the greatest competition in Golf (and of the course the entire sporting calendar Very Happy )

I was lucky enough to get tickets in the 2nd draw and am going on the Thur and Fri of the competition. Prefer to watch the rest of the weekend in the luxury of my home on Sky HD (toilet nearer and also get waitress service)

So who's going to win? Europe have a fairly young but strong team whilst USA have a more experienced team, but was picking Tiger a mistake?

And will having Monty as the team Captain be the big thing promised, he can be a bit moody if things don't go well.

Am currently practicing not shouting "in the hole" when I see someone tee off, you'd be surprised at how difficult it actually is.
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Malop, the old Ryder Cup. Good for you getting tickets. It will be awesome. One day, we shall stride the fairways together, my friend.

My two'penneth is this... Woods a big mistake. He's not a team player and his form is supremely iffy. he's no talisman, his record is poor and I don't get it. He will now win it single-handedly for the US... They have interesting players like Bubba Watson coming in but I don't see strength all the way through.

Monty will be a superb captain on the weekend. He loves the RC and that passion will drive the team on through the weekend. I think Europe have the stronger team - players like Kaymer are going to be pivotal. Great new blood. I would have picked Casey myself but I get why he was left out too. Monty's skipper picks are those who know how to win Ryder matches and who wanted to play. Not sure Casey cares enough. Thing is, he's a top golfer.

Please stuff a nine iron down the throat of any American shouting 'in the hole' with my blessing. And if you utter those words, I think we both know the only honourable course open to you.

I shall be watching the entire thing on Sky HD. Don't forget to text me when you're out on the course (if you can be bothered).
Futre4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a weekend for Europe!!. Shame about the weather.

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So malop... your report on the golf and the weather to follow? What a Sunday we had and so far, Monday looking a good day for us too. Can we do it? I think so.
Max Power

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a golf fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a day off, and the golf's on in the background. It's quite exciting, isn't it? Poulter absolutely loves it (and himself!).
Malop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had tickets for Thurs and Fri. Set off a bit later than expected Thur due to work and then Sat Nav diverted me around a traffic jam on the M42 (diversion was through Birmingham Centre at rush hour) so didn't arrive on course until 11:30. By then Americans had finished and the European practice matches were 6 deep in the crowd.

I walked the course and visited the merchandise tent (where I won a pick the golden ball competition and got a print of the 18th hole signed by both captains) also spent a fair amount of money. Saw the opening ceremony and stood next to a bloke who rather amusingly said out loud as the Partners and wifes came on stage "Aren't the American women short of 18 girlfriends?"

And Friday, got up at 5am, at park and ride for 6am, the park and ride was half full and they were stacking people there because they couldn't get them into the course any quicker. Finally made it onto the course at 7am, 15 minute walk to the 1st hole only to find the only decent spot to watch was half way down the fairway. Watched the first 4 matches tee off, saw some second shots then got breakfast. 20 minutes later, play suspended.

Based on weather, course conditions and work commitments I decided to leave and come home. There was absolutely nowhere on the course to shelter 40,000 people for 7 hours.

So for a grand total of £220 (tickets+parking+hotel) I saw a total of 40 minutes of golf.

But you know what, loved it, glad I did it and would do it again (as long was it's not in Wales).

Had to work Saturday daytime so missed most of the foursomes and fourballs but caught all of Sunday. Work let me take Monday afternoon off so caught up with Singles, and just as McDowell was on the 15th work called me with an urgent issue. On a teleconference dealing with it when someone said "Wow Europe's won the Ryder Cup", oh I was so so happy.

Left teleconference and watched McDowell on the 17th knowing that the match was his.

Great result, you can't ask more of a Ryder cup than the result go to the final match on the 17th. Nerve wracking.

Still won't forgive Monty for Harrington as a pick though, what a waste.
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Sport All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: