James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stalled writing...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Members' own work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
butterfly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Stalled writing... Reply with quote

Okay, I hope I am putting this in the right section (sorry Lizzy if its in the wrong place!!) but I have a problem.
Before I had two kids in quick succession, a snapped wrist and half a dozen other things I wrote quite a bit. I was working on a book and with background stuff, worldbuilding and character rapsheets I have about 250,000 words. Then I stopped.
I am now getting back into the story and I want to write but am a little rusty. So the question is do I just launch myself into the book again or work my way up to it?
I will only get an hour a day to write and would like to focus so I am asking for all your opinions please???
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, butterfly, crack straight into the book. This is your work in progress and it's the thing you care about. All I would say is, don't expect it to flow right away if you've had a break. it's certainly worth reading everything you have about it to familiarise yourself with what you were doing.

Just take it slow, don't set high expectations about how much you'll achieve and you'll get yourself going in your own time.
butterfly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much.
I took your advice and have just finished rereading everything, so baby temperatures notwithstanding should be able to stay and write for the next hour... Cool
budongsmith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you might not expect too much that you've achieve higher on the start.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Members' own work All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: