James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RavenSoul ** SPOILERS***
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: RavenSoul ** SPOILERS*** Reply with quote

Im warning you...don’t read on unless you have read the book....!!

When I got this book, ...well ok when I begged Maggie at book point for a copy of this book it was with a little concern, was this a book too far? Should it have ever been written? Do you let a quality series sit respectable and unspoiled for all time?

Well James must have thought these through, and it must have been a great thrill to write, but also a great concern that he didn’t damage a great series, the series that launched him.

I was hugely sceptical about bringing people back from the dead, I though it failed miserably with Druss is white wolf and swords of night and day, and if the master Gemmell could not manage it how the hell would James.

BUT!

It does work, you actually get a thrill seeing the characters pop back to life, and life such as it was had lots of caveats and strings attached, they were not there with super powers to fix the world, they were even more flawed than ever, at times almost powerless.
The hero and villain element of this book is amazing and extreme, Denser, I was actually disgusted with him, there was almost an audible gasp from me when he turned on the raven, and at the other end of the scale Sol was the pinnacle of heroism, of selflessness to his people.

The whole book is a massive roller coaster from end to end, with the garonin (sp) managing to step up and counter everything thrown at them, I actually thought the raven were going to lose, and yes I know books are written like that but you always know the good guy wins in the end in fantasy, I wasn’t certain this time, it really did hang in the balance.

I laughed, I nearly cried, I felt proud and I felt sick....and at the end I felt that this was the perfect end for the raven. Forever guardians forever young for ever vigilant...what more could they want or the reader need.

I do have one thought from the end though......Will Jonas be back, will we have a series in the new world??....come on James...tell me the answer will be yes??....Please....pretty please!!

I doff my Cap Mr Barclay, this is truly a great book, and has been a highlight of my reading year.
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, the erstwhile General. Coming from you, those comments mean a great deal.

You were spot on about all my concerns, nags, anxieties and doubts. I'm so glad you think so much of it. I love this book and in the end, was really happy to have had the opportunity to write it. But there were times when I thought I'd made a big mistake writing about them one more time.

Nothing Jonas related in the pipeline but, like with Ravensoul, you just never know, do you?
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well got the email from Amazon to say the book was sent out... so just a case of waiting now!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaving work in the next few minutes (not literally leaving, I wish...) so don't have the time to go into how great I thought 'Ravensoul' was. Suffice it to say that it is bloody great and a more than fitting finale. Thanks for a great read James!

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Malop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read it and thought it was excellent.

Spotted a couple of typos which I may be able to find again,

But biggest complaint.....

Only one mention of Will, perhaps a short re-write for the next edition James?

Will post more soon.
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife has also finished it now, She asked if having a glossary of whos who at the back might not be an idea for those who dont remember all the old characters?
Thraun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my copy through the post yesterday and read the whole thing last night - just didn't want to put it down until I'd finished Laughing

Excellant work as always James. The supreme confidence of the Garonin shredded in the face of good ol' Ilks and his grasp of their fate at the end gave me a warm happy feeling inside after the emotional rollercoaster you put me through with the Unknown's passing....again. What have you got about killing that guy!!!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't too worried about the Unknown's passing but the bit leading up to it, with him and Diera, had me all teary eyed... Crying or Very sad Embarassed

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Selik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after discovering there were pretty much literally only two copies in the entire of Lincolnshire I finally got it by going to Lincoln having had it kept back...

Read it last night, thoroughly enjoyed it and Blackthorne and Gresse became my new favourite characters. Had me laughing a bit and their final scene was excellent.
As for Selik's cameo.... Laughing He just never quite manages to get what he wants.
I also think Robin's right, and certainly if anything were written in future about Jonas, i'd be interested Smile
Will

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading it! Never has a book left me in tears so many times, i really thought everyone was dead after the first battle and the rest would simply be about the elves. I loved the ending and the fact we got to see how Sirendor fitted in.
Jonas was awesome, he really took on the old mans mantle, I agree with everyone else and would love to read more of him. Have to agree with Malop, there should have been more of Mr.Begman Sad But still, this was one of favourite Raven books. Thank you James!!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished it earlier today, thought it was damned great. Thoroughly enjoyed it, couldn't put it down and the ending was excellent.

I thought the Protectors joining in the fight was brilliant, didn't see it coming either until it became obvious they were coming but Ark's reveal was nicely done. In fact it was great having one last ride with old friends... I remember James saying during an interview that sitting down and writing a Raven book after so long was like putting on a pair of old slippers - reading it, for me, was exactly the same. Great stuff!
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUGE MAJOR big spoilers in this bit, just to double and triple warn anyone who might have strayed.... Wink

I have a question actually about the souls in the void...

I was wondering whether or not due to their dying before Sol sacrifices himself, the Barons would actually be able to travel from the void after the Raven secure a place for the dead?
I know they call other souls through, so was wondering if it's likely they would eventually get to this world, also, or whether they'd be stuck in the void? *Hopes she's not managed to miss out a huge section as with the second Ascendants book* Rolling Eyes
OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my 10 signed copies at the weekend, Many thanks for that James...have started shipping them off around the globe..Australia, Norway, Denmark, USA, canada, Brazil....
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pleasure, my erstwhile General. Glad to be of service.

Selik, I don't think they could come back, unfortunately though it would be comforting to think they might find a resting place. The Raven's call to the void brought back only other members of The Raven, and not all of them by any means so it is a stretch to think the Barons might get lucky. Still, nothing is impossible...
Selik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Selik, I don't think they could come back, unfortunately though it would be comforting to think they might find a resting place.

With a large wine cellar Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> The Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: