James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advance warning of potential forum flakiness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Advance warning of potential forum flakiness Reply with quote

Greetings, ladies and gents, from your humble webgeek-type-person.

We're going to be doing some backstage stuff with jamesbarclay.com this evening*, so I thought it might be wise to let you all know that from 7pm this evening this forum may be either offline, flakey or both.

Basically, the best way to approach this issue is to assume that from 7pm tonight until the next morning, any posts you make will not survive the transfer that we'll be making. It may be that they do survive, of course, but what I'm saying is don't post anything too precious, because it might get lost in the intarwub aether. And we don't want that happening, AMIRITE?

OK, I think that's clear enough. I'll drop back in here and leave another message when everything seems to be running smoothly. With any luck there'll be minimal disruption - that's what we're aiming for, at least. Smile

Thanks for reading, folks.

*For the technically-inclined: we need to move the database that runs this forum to a different MySQL server at the same time as shifting the hosting of the static files, but as all the moves are occurring within the same nameserver-space we don't need to worry about the two-day DNS propagation malarkey. Bet you're glad you asked now, huh?
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ladies and gents, it's been a nightmare and a half (for reasons too dull to get into) but I'm pretty sure everything is alive and kicking now. If you made a post today and it's not here, I'm afraid it's probably gone for good, but as far as I can tell everything from the moment before the 7pm database backup has moved across.

If you spot any weirdness, do let us know. We'll be upgrading to a new version of the forum software sometime soon, too, but until then - enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Admin Messages All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: