James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-books or paper books?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this the end of paper books?
Nah, paper's better - I'll never buy one
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Yep, it's all over bar the shouting
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
There's room for both in the market
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Max Power

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: E-books or paper books? Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7619303.stm

So, what do you reckon? Is the Sony e-book a threat to paper books, is it a gimmick, or is it just another way to access our favourite mercenaries?!

Personally, I prefer the feel and smell of a paper book, and although an e-book would be useful when travelling, you'll soon run out of space for authors to sign it!
Alia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much free time, so I read on the bus or in the underground, when I'm on my way to work or back home. But one book had to wait until holidays, because it was a huge hardcover, over 1000 pages. And it simply didn't fit into my bag. Now, if it was an e-book, I could read it on my Palm. Also, e-books are fine if you need to search through the text to find some information.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have thought about one of these, but i dislike the fact they restrict the loading format, and thus charge extra for the books, stopping competition on where you buy the ebooks, if there was a decent converter then i would buy one, the screens are fantastic on the sony e-reader.
I want one for holidays so i dont have to carry 5 books for a week by the pool...nothing will stop me buyin my 1st edition signed HB's
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-books have been about for a while, Amazon has been selling their own version for some time in the US with mixed success...

For me, you can't beat picking up a beaten up old paperback from the shelf and rifling through a few pages when you've a spare few minutes. I don't think e-books will ever replace or get near replacing paper, not for a long time anyway and especially not until manufacturers get rid of the limitation gimmicks and make them more user friendly.

Besides, none of my paperbacks need batteries.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paper books every time for me, the chances of me being mugged for a battered old paperback are non-existent unless there's a really geeky mugger out there... Shocked

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Kerela

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote:

For me, you can't beat picking up a beaten up old paperback from the shelf and rifling through a few pages when you've a spare few minutes. I don't think e-books will ever replace or get near replacing paper, not for a long time anyway and especially not until manufacturers get rid of the limitation gimmicks and make them more user friendly.

Besides, none of my paperbacks need batteries.

True. True.

I don't really like reading longer texts on my PC, and real books just..well feel better Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: