James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Reading <cont 5>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woke up early this morning and picked up Brian Evenson's 'Last Days' as a nice quick read for while I was lying in bed. This tale of a cop forcibly recruited into solving a murder, in a cult of self mutilators, kept me hooked through every twist and turn right up until an explosive and hard hitting finale. It's not out until next February but it's worth keeping an eye open for. My review is over Here.
I'm now back onto Scalzi's 'The Last Colony' and I'm not picking anything else up until I've finished it...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished reading John Scalzi's 'The Last Colony' this morning. I didn't think it was quite up to the standard of his previous books, it looked like he was trying to cram too much into too small a space, but 'The Last Colony' was still a very entertaining read that I think promises good things for 'Zoe's Tale'. My full review is over Here.
I'm now well into Shaun Hutson's 'Body Count', I don't know what I'll be reading after that...

Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished, at long last, Gardens of the Moon by Steve Erikson. Excellent read, thoroughly looking forward to the next one, Deadhouse Gates.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got some quality reading ahead of you Very Happy

I've just finished reading Shaun Hutson's 'Body Count', a tale of snuff videos on the internet and a policeman's hunt for his runaway daughter. The two collide and things get as visceral as Hutson can make them...
'Body Count' is an fast paced entertaining read that unfortunately suffers from thinking it's a film. There are some things in film that don't work in a book... I wasn't too sure what kind of horror fiction it was either. My full review is over Here.
I'm now finishing off Alison Goodman's 'The Two Pearls of Wisdom' (not that good I'm afraid) while also working my way through Thomas Disch's 'The Wall of America' and starting to look at Brandon Sanderson's 'Mistborn'.

TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Airman by Eoin Colfer (he of Artemis Fowl fame) - probably aimed at young adults but I really enjoyed it - clever story, well written - worth a read if you see it on offer at your local bookshop! Very Happy
Kerela

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, another Eoin Colfer. Is it a new one? I've read some stuff by him, and although I enjoyed the Artemis Fowl-books most, some of the others were good, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Alison Goodman's 'The Two Pearls of Wisdom', a tale of dragons and a girl's fight to control hers in a land where such an occurrence is punishable by death...
I like the concept behind the story and when Goodman gets going she can write some exciting stuff. Unfortunately all the good stuff comes right at the end of a book that felt bogged down in needless detail... I'd probably give the next book a go though (at least the first chapter or two). My full review is over Here.
I'm now finishing up on Thomas Disch's 'The Wall of America' and I've also got Brandon Sanderson's 'Mistborn' on the go as well.

TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerela wrote:
Cool, another Eoin Colfer. Is it a new one? I've read some stuff by him, and although I enjoyed the Artemis Fowl-books most, some of the others were good, too.

I think it's failry new, I've had it for a couple of months now - bought it off Amazon to make up the free postage! Very Happy It's a hardcover so I guess it must be pretty new - whatever it is it's a good read! Very Happy
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's taken me a few days but I've finally finished Thomas Disch's short story collection, 'The Wall of America'. Although I initially found it hard to get into I found that the effort paid off as the stories themselves were full of beautiful prose as well as being poignant and funny in equal measure. My full review is over Here.
I seem to have built up yet another pile of books where I've read the first couple of pages and then moved onto something else. Ones that are staying the course though are Brandon Sanderson's 'Mistborn', James Barclay's 'Vault of Deeds' Very Happy and Ian Cameron Esslemont's 'Return of the Crimson Guard'...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Brandon Sanderson's 'Mistborn'. I loved the ideas, the characters and the very cool fight scenes using Allomancy (magic through ingesting certain metals) but it was a real shame that the rest of the book felt like it really dragged in between these points. There was plenty there to persuade me to give the next book a go though. My full review is over Here.
I'm now reading Neal Asher's 'Prador Moon', not only is it a nice short 'commuter read' but it also features giant carniverous space crabs! You can't beat giant carniverous space crabs...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Neal Asher's 'Prador Moon', the tale of the beginning of the human Polity's war against the Prador, a race of giant carnivorous space crabs! I'm going to say that again because it just sounds so cool...

Giant carnivorous space crabs!

'Prador Moon' is a quick and fun read that's full of action and things blowing up (mostly giant sentient crabs that have had explosives stuck to their backs...). There's plenty going on but this does come at the expense of the human characters having a chance to fully develop. My full review is over Here.
I'm done with giant carnivorous space crabs for the moment, now it's onto zombies with Jonathan Maberry's 'Patient Zero'...

Tk421

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going through The Watchmen. Only a few years after I originally intended on reading it and looking at the pretty pictures.

Nearly met Alan Moore this weekend. But didn't want to go all fanboy and say something embarrassing in the end.
Max Power

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading? What's that?! I haven't looked at a book in the last three weeks and I'm getting withdrawal symptons!!! Oh well, only another 18 years to go until he leaves home!!!
Alia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I finished reading a Polish novel on the Great War (real good military/horror novel) and now I'm facing the question - what next. Gaiman's "Graveyard book", Scalzi's "Old Man's War", Morgan's "The Black Man"? All these books and some others are waiting for me. And since I'm going to be travelling a lot by train at the weekend, I need to choose something to read then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Jonathan Maberry's 'Patient Zero' (due to be published by Gollancz in April next year), a tale of American Secret Service agents battling a zombie plague from the Middle East!
'Patient Zero' suffers from an occasional lapse into 'tech-speak' but rocks on every other level with a twisty turny plot and chilling showdowns with zombies in dark and cramped places... Definitely one for fans of zombie fiction like me! My full review is over Here.
It's time for a little sci-fi now so I'm reading Sean Williams' 'Earth Ascendant'...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 2 of 34

Jump to: