James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Hellboy II: The Golden Army Reply with quote

Saw this tonight... on first viewing I'd go 6-7/10 though I reckon it could well be better upon a second viewing. I'm a big fan of Del Toro (if anyone hasn't seen Pan's Labyrinth, do so) so I've had high expectations for this, especially when I heard it was an original story not from the comics and was more 'fantasy' than 'sci-fi'.

This film could have been awesome had it been longer and more screen-time had been given to the 'villain', Nuada, to explore his character a tad more... as it is he kicks ass with what is a rather cool spear - this guy is Legolas' misanthropic twin.

Some of the movie is brilliant, in particular the Elemental - this entire sequence is brilliant and hammers home a few thinking points without detracting from the on-screen action.

But... I dunno... I was a bit underwhelmed by it all and I felt like I wanted to explore more of this 'Otherworld' Del Toro allows us to glimpse - I wanted more of a glimpse, but maybe a Hellboy film isn't the medium to do it... anyway, it's well worth a look if only for the Elemental scene alone... and the drunken singing. Oh yes, the singing... Wink

Pros: it greys the lines between the heros and the villains, you can't help but enjoy watching the good guys while feeling for the bad guy; the visceral nature of the fantastical characters...

Cons: not enough of the Otherworld... someone like Alan Moore could turn this into a damned awesome graphic novel
Parmenion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you spot who played nuada? it was none other than ex boy band member luke goss from the band Bros...he's turned into a pretty good actor...which is good because the band used to make my teeth hurt!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, though Del Toro seems to give him most of his work. He trained for months before filming to stay in shape and train with the spear/sword... he did similar in Blade II... just ignore the similarities between the two characters and you'll be fine Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: