James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happened after? (Spoiler Warning for Ravensoul)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shriker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: What happened after? (Spoiler Warning for Ravensoul) Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, im new here so be nice Smile

I know when a series ends your not meant to keep asking what happened next because it could go on forever but I do have points Im just dying to ask.

What happened to Denser afterwards and are there any plans for future books to explore his story? And when people in Balaia die do they get sent to the new dead dimension even though it's in a different cluster? Just wondered if Denser would ever get to be with his wife again.

I think exploring Densers story could be interesting because he has has rebuild what is left of Balaia, possibly construct a new heart, although I don't think there are many mages left on Balaia to do so, seen as they died defending their colleges. And also the Garonin would be a constant threat if any mana build up in sufficient quatities, or they just wanted to seek revenge on the survivors after the Raven beat them.

Anyway, would love to hear everyone elses thoughts about this an any others thoughts you had as well.
Selik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember at the end of Ravensoul it was decided Balaia would forge its future without magic, so there would be no necessity for a new 'heart'.
Shriker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm I may need to re-read the end, got so wound up in the fight in Ulandeneth that I may have missed bits Smile

But my other questions still stand Smile

*Edit* Your right, just re-read that last bit, he does say without the aid of magic Smile
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about a few of these things but not in a any really focused wayt. Denser in a kind of post-apocalyptic world is interesting. Without Hearts, magic would be terribly difficult and dangerous to cast, though not impossible. I digress. I think mainly it would be a fight just to survive. So much is destroyed and the place is still crawling with Garonin as we leave it. Kind of reminds me of those nightmare future snapshots in The Terminator.

The Garonin would indeed be a constant threat. Revenge probably won't drive them but finding pockets of mana rich souls would bring them places people don't want to get found. Actually, they have been a threat across time. They are referenced in the first of my new trilogy on the Elves of Calaius (called Once Walked With Gods) and that is set three thousand years in the past.

I have no current plans for books on Denser or on Jonas et al in the new world but there is always room for short fiction and you never know what is round the corner. I didn't think there'd be any more Raven after Demonstorm so what do I know?
Shriker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, very terminator ish. I remember the referance the elves made to their previous fight with them in their old world and looking forward to hearing about it again in the elven trilogy.

The Raven never truly die, as you've proved, they now are protecting their people forever (with the occasional card game to pass the time Razz ). In the last book I felt like i wanted to hit Denser for being soooo stupid at times, but when his true self came back I couldn't help feeling sorry for him, deciding to stay there. It's overly sentimental but do you think that when he finally dies, his soul will be led to the new resting place? Or he will be lost in the void forever? I hope not, he deserves to be with his wife again.
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think that when Denser dies, his soul will rejoin those of Erienne and The Raven. That is right and proper.
Shriker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Revenge probably won't drive them...

Just thought of something, didn't the Garonin specifically destroy the elves rather than just going after mana because they were out for revenge on them getting away last time? Just a thought.

Also, I hope Sha-Kaan finds a new home for the Dragons, he has to be one of the best characters Smile

Last point I think I may have just forgotten, what happened to the Wesmen? They just disappeared by all accounts, although when the elves arrived in part of the heartland they found them destroyed, does that include the Wesmen?
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garonin's pursuit of elven mana was yet more brutal than normal. They certainly had a score to settle. Perhaps it was revenge, perhaps a statement of their power.

I think we can assume Sha-Kaan will lead the dragons somewhere new and re-establish the Dragonene links.

As for the Wesmen, they retreated far into the Heartlands, trying to survive the onslaught. They are certainly not all wiped out and actually, might emerge the dominant power what with magical power reduced to almost nothing.
Shriker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I was thinking that actually, they would almost deffinately be the dominant force on Balaia.

I guess we will find out more about the elves in the new books Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> The Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: