James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Euro 2008 - who's going to win?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Power

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Euro 2008 - who's going to win? Reply with quote

So, what do you think? Will the tournament be any good (the last Euro was low on skill and thrills for me), and who will win. First, the old cliches - Holland and Spain must be in with a shout as they have such talented squads, you can never count out the Italians or the French, and there's something ominous about the Germans even though they only have one or two world class players...

All joking aside, I'm going to suggest that Spain might do well - Torres, Febregas, Villa etc are top players, although I do maintain that Spanish sides can't genernally defend. I don't think Holland or France have enough about them, but I do think the Italians might do okay.

However, Spain and Italy will meet by the semis at the latest if they both get through their groups, so I think Italy will reach the final, and they will meet one of Germany, Portugal or Croatia (nothing like hedging your bets, hey?)

In summary, Italy to win, with Croatia as my outside bet.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im taking the outside bet of croatia as well.

as for Fav....Maybe spain to finally win something, they have the players...
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big football fan ('cos we don't appear to have a team in Leicester!) but I have a sneaking suspicion that Holland will go close this time! Shocked Now you just watch 'em go and lose to Wales tomorrow! Laughing
Futre4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italy will win it.

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Alia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, certainly not Poland Wink
(I'm Polish, but I have no illusions about our national team. The fact they got into Euro was a huge surprise).
DeathJunior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people who take advantage of the quiet streets, the cheap drinks, the pubs and clubs without football on the television will win.

www.myspace.com/djjaines
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DJJaines
Dan Jaines a walking dictionary of Danisms
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Futre4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i nearly took a job in poland a few months back , itd have been interesting to be there during euro 2008

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Alia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futre4 wrote:
i nearly took a job in poland a few months back , itd have been interesting to be there during euro 2008

And it will certainly be very interesting during Euro 2012 - of course, if we get ready for it in time.
Anyway, I'm not really a football fan and I don't get this whole fuss.
Thraun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna say Holland. Their squad seems a lot stronger this year than in the last 3 or 4 attempts.
Kerela

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long it's not italy I don't really mind Laughing (well, almost, wouldn't be that happy about Holland, too Rolling Eyes anyway I have to admit that both teams are quite good, there's just this vindictive part ofme, that still hates Italy...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Max Power

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you won't have anything to worry about until Italy remember how to score goals!!!

After the first round of matches, I've been very impressed with Holland and Spain (still not sure about their defence), and Portugal certainly know how to pass the ball very well. Good start to the tournament I think.
Futre4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italy start slow then they grind out results every round, they are through again perhaps not convincingly but there they are.

Selik

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathJunior wrote:
The people who take advantage of the quiet streets, the cheap drinks, the pubs and clubs without football on the television will win.

Hmm, I get the feeling you hate football, Dan. Could I possibly be correct in that analysis? Wink

I'd like either Germany or Sweden to win. I doubt Sweden will. Hopefully Germany will improve a little and take it.
I don't think Italy will win. I've not really taken much notice of their matches to be honest, but from what I've seen they've not done a great deal to further themselves.
Holland seem to be doing a decent job.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croatia are looking dangerous, Italy seem to be getting their act together and Holland are smashing anyone they play... because their football's good to watch I'm hoping for Holland, Croatia or Spain but after seeing Germany getting it together against Portugal I can't help but edge in their direction. Very ruthless!
Kerela

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My poor heart Laughing the game yesterday was just WOW Shocked I didn't know, that the German team could actually play football (certainly not after the match against Austria). And I certainly aged 10 years in the last 5 Minutes Laughing

(And I really wish I hadn't promised to knit some black-red and gold socks when Germany reaches the semi-finale Rolling Eyes )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Sport All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: