James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books you put down and can't go back to?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ry on this the Robert Jordan ones i found really tough going, managed to get 5 books in but it just seems to get a bit drawn out and tedious. I wish i could enjoy them, i find the concept of the wheel of time world very interesting but it would have been better with more action in a shorter series in my humble opinion Smile

I also tend to have this problem with the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles books. Again really very interesting but i tend to either take forever and a day to get through one book or simply put it down and start reading something else
Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is too short to read Robert Jordan. First book was good, I threw the second book in the bin after about 200 pages of constant whinging and annoying characters. Got no plans to go back either. Rolling Eyes
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of makes me a sad git then as i got the first 6 in a package which i read and then as each new book was released i re-read the earlier ones.

book 10 was the one that killed it for me. I've got book 11 and i'll get 12 if he finishes it but i'm not sure if i'll read them.
Grace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like Manty. I read all of the Wheel of Time up to book 10, putting up with the incredibly whingy characters and overly political marouverings in the hope of some glorious dramatic payoff at the end. By the middle of book 10 I gave up. I can't wait any longer. There are so many characters spread across such huge distances that you forget about them by the time a bit with them in it comes round again. My dad has 11 and A New Spring, but I'd have to start again from the beginning and I don't think I can be bothered.

Also Raymond E Feist, sadly. I liked Magician and Silverthorn but barely started Darkness at Sethanon. I may go back to them later.

(Whoops, sorry Manty!)

Last edited by Grace on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psst Grace that was Manty not Malop

and twelves not out yet!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there something silly like 11.5 or some such nonsense?
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he has released a prequel called A New Spring which was originally a short story in Legends. he did plan for two more prequel but i think poor sales, and a major illness, have halted that for the moment IIRC.
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote:
Life is too short to read Robert Jordan. First book was good, I threw the second book in the bin after about 200 pages of constant whinging and annoying characters. Got no plans to go back either. Rolling Eyes

You actually threw the book into the bin?! Shocked I've only done that with one book and that was a horrible history book as it was so unbelievably inaccurate.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, it was binned. I'm not cruel enough to give the book away to someone.
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually seems quite harsh. Should have given it to a charity shop.lol.
Oh well, it's certainly a good candidate for this section then. Razz
Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally give them to my Dad to sort - there's a Lloyds bank down Horden where they have a table people donate books to. The idea is if you take one, you make a monetary donation and they all go towards the Macmillan Nurses.

But no, I'll not be going back to Robert Jordan.
Jen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once tried to read an Anne Rice book, but after the third or fourth time that some vampire blokes stiff nipples came out I realised that I just couldn't be bothered.
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, yeah i'm not much of an Anne Rice fan. Though I did like Queen of the Damned. Great film!
Couldn't bring myself to watch Tom Cruise though, even though his was the first. Confused
Max Power

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote:
I must admit I did the same with a Mark Chadbourn one, though it was years ago and I can't remember whether it was the 2nd or 3rd one... anyway, the point where I put it down was where the characters were all on a boat with the T-Danan lot heading off to somewhere I can't remember.

Odd really, you'd think it'd have got interesting sailing off to another realm as it were... Shocked

But I WILL go back to these. Lizzy's vehement support of them over the last year or so has convinced me I should! Razz

edit: sly little one as per Lou's advice! Very Happy

As a (Lizzy converted fan!), I must advise you to go back! I'm halfway through book three of "Age of Misrule"and am really enjoying the whole concept. I can't quite speak about the ending yet, but the build up is rather good.

Lizzy - Mark is *this close* to making you a paid member of his staff - good work!!! Wink
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to agree. Lizzy has converted many a person to Mark's books. I'm about to finish the first one. I'm really enjoying it now though I admit there was a point nearer the middle of the book where I did consider not continuing with it cos I didn't like any of the characters, but i've changed my opinion now Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: