James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 4>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Kristin Cashore's 'Graceling', the tale of a King's niece who is an unstoppable killing machine but doesn't want to be but can't escape her duty but then falls in love even though she has sworn never to marry and he's really good looking and so on...
'Graceling' has one of the single most annoying main characters that I've ever come across and it also doesn't help that the book is peppered with stupid sounding people and place names. Surprisingly though it actually ends up being an entertaining read although probably not one where I'd be queuing for the sequel...
My full review is over Here.
I'm now finishing off Paul Kane's 'Arrowhead' and I've also got Kage Baker's 'The House of the Stag' on the go...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Paul Kane's 'Arrowhead', a re-telling of the Robin Hood story only this time in a post apocalyptic world devastated by plague. It's a fun read but the dark atmosphere hangs a little heavy sometimes and there were a couple of areas that I felt could have been expanded upon to greater affect. My full review is over Here.
I'm now about halfway through Kage Baker's 'The House of the Stag' and I'm really enjoying it. It's great Very Happy

Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Kage Baker's 'The House of the Stag', the tale of a half-demon foundlings rise to Dark Lord, by way of careers in acting and landscape gardening...
Some of the humour is a little forced and the main character annoyingly invulnerable but, on the whole, I very much enjoyed this book and will be looking for 'The Anvil of the World' if this is any example of Baker's fantasy work. I loved this one to pieces and a full review is over Here.
I'm finishing Lilith Saintcrow's 'Hunter's Prayer' and don't really know what I'll be reading next...

Selik

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh, Kage Baker's book sounds pretty cool, actually.
Kerela

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Hill: Heart-Shaped Box
It's an interesting idea, and till now I really enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik wrote:
Ooooh, Kage Baker's book sounds pretty cool, actually.

It's a damn fine book, I'll be doing a giveaway in the next couple of days if you fancy your chances... Wink

I've finished reading Lilith Saintcrow's 'Hunter's Prayer', the second book in her 'Jill Kismet' series of a Hunter who kicks the stuffing out of the undead community in Santa Luz.
There was a change of focus right at the end which I wasn't too happy with, as it almost rendered the finale pointless, but on the whole this was a fun read full of atmosphere and attitude. My full review is over Here.
I'm now reading Karen Traviss' 'Order 66' and Tim Lebbon's 'The Everlasting'...

Lizzy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interested to hear what you think about The Everlasting. I enjoyed it well enough and want to read more of his stuff as a result. But it didn't knock my socks off completely

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Deornoth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking interesting enough so far, I'm only about fifty pages in, but it's slow going.... Sad

Deornoth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post... Embarassed

Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading 'Order 66' (Karen Traviss), part of the ongoing series of clone commando exploits in the final days of the Old Republic where Chancellor Palpatine is about to issue Order 66 (erm, hence the name...)
It's a bit dry in places, and you really need to have read the last book (at least) to stand any chance of knowing what's happening, but Traviss does give us a story full of action and intrigue which makes for one hell of a read. I couldn't believe how the finale went, talk about reeling you in and then smacking you round the face with something totally unexpected!
I'm really looking forward to continuing this series and my full review is over Here.
I'm now about halfway through Tim Lebbon's 'The Everlasting'...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Tim Lebbon's 'The Everlasting', the tale of a quest for immortality from beyond the grave...
As a horror story it falls flat in that there's nothing really horrifying about it but it does work well as a ghost story. 'The Everlasting' does have a habit of dragging but makes up for it with some interesting characters and a world, outside ours, that I'd like to see expanded upon. My full review is over Here.
I've now got a little bit of a book 'pile up' going on with finishing Michael Moorcock's 'To Rescue Tanelorn' as well as reading Sean McMullen's 'The Time Engine' and Glen Cook's 'A Cruel Wind'...

Mark D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started re-reading...

you've guessed it! It's good to read about The Raven after so long of not doing so. hopefully i'll get through them before Ravensoul is released!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading 'To Rescue Tanelorn', a collection of some of Michael Moorcock's 'Elric' stories. All the stories have appeared in other collections already so this is really only a book for people who are encountering Elric for the first time. The stories themselves are (for the most part) cool though and I'm a big fan of the cover! My full review is over Here.
I'm now reading Sean McMullen's 'The Time Engine' and I've also got Glen Cook's 'A Cruel Wind' on the go at home...

Kerela

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I found Dschinnland by Kai Meyer in a bookstore, although it should be released only on September 16th and I couldn't resist (actually I couldn't resist buying the book and the audiobook, as it's read by Andreas Fr?hlich, and I just love his voice).
I'm half-through and I already love it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished up with Sean McMullen's 'The Time Engine', the fantasy version of 'The Time Machine' where a member of the City Guard becomes a reluctant time traveller...
Despite a blurb that (deliberately?) sets out to ruin things for you 'The Time Engine' is a fun read with plenty going on in a 'comedy of errors' kind of way, it only occasionally falls into the trap of being too detailed for it's own good. My full review is over Here.
I've never read any of the Anderson/Herbert 'Dune' books so thought I'd give 'Paul of Dune' a go next. I'm also into 'A Cruel Wind'.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: