James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 4>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've just finished reading David Gunn's 'Maximum Offense', the sequel to 'Death's Head'. It's full of everything that the first book had (lots of sex, gunfights and explosions) but ramped up a couple of gears. For all it's action it's strangely shallow though. An entertaining read if you accept it for what it is, give it a miss if you're after something meatier

glad im not the only one who read and enjoyed these books for what they are.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're both awesome reads Cool

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Theodore Judson's 'The Martian General's Daughter', a tale of loyalty and an empire in decline (with a not very subtle Ancient Rome flavour to it). The big issue I had with this book is that while there's a lot of stirring stuff going on (epic battles, nano-plague and insane emperors) the narrator relates it like she's reading her shopping list... Once you get past this though, the story itself is well worth a look and I'm in awe of the way Judson makes the General such a sympathetic character when he's actually quite unlikeable. My full review is over Here. I'll be starting 'The Born Queen' (Greg Keyes) when I get home...

Max Power

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying "Memories of Ice" by Steven Erikson - especially the Grey Swords and Itkovian. I think I'm enjoying this book more than the other two of Eriksons's that I've read so far. Dark fantasy, lots of gore, a fantastically complex world, and really flawed characters everywhere you look.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished raising atlantis and started the atlantis prophecy...fairl easy to read fun adventure stuff
skandranon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the recommendation of Parmenion and Max Power i have just finished Sharpes Tiger by Bernard Cornwell.
It was every bit as good as you said it would be, fast paced and exciting, ive ordered the next 3 already. Very Happy
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Greg Keyes' 'The Born Queen', the conclusion to his 'Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone' series. While it had everything in it that I enjoyed in his other books it sometimes came across that he'd written five books and then remembered it was a four book series... It felt like he was trying to jam lots of information in but no explanation although it could all make a lot more sense with a re-read of the series. Still good fun to read though, my full review is over Here.
I'm now well into 'The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction Volume 2'...

dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading "The Prince" by Machiavelli, on the recommendation of a friend...I dunno, I liked the Art of War, I found it more relevant, this friend of mine refers to the prince all the time when we debate/argue angrily, and so far, I've found it to be too specific and irrelevant to todays world. I plan to tell him so Razz
Parmenion

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skandragon: another one for you: Wolf of the plains by Conn Iggulden (also lords of the bow by conn iggulden) I promise you will love these books...
Mark D

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Awakened Mage - Karen Miller.

The first of this two-book series, Innocent Mage, has me so hooked that i ended up reading it in a day. And for me, reading a 600page book in a day is pretty good going. i didn't get much else done though Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finished McLeod's "House of Storms". After the first part, which was rather irritating, the rest was much better - but I still prefer his "Light Ages".
Now I'm reading Kay's "The Song for Arbonne", which is fine - I really like the way he creates his characters (and characters were the main problem of "House of Storms).
skandranon

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Parmenion I'll give them a go Very Happy
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never read any 'paranormal romance' before so I thought I'd give it a go, now I find myself dying the slow death of 'endless soul searching' and 'were-creatures booking into a hotel and getting it on'... The latest offender is 'Timeless Moon' (C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp) where... were-creatures soul-search endlessly and then book into a hotel... The story isn't too bad but everything that makes this a 'romance' also makes it incredibly difficult to get into. A full review is over Here.
I never thought I'd hear myself say this but after 'Timeless Moon' I'm really looking forward to reading Laurell K. Hamilton's latest book 'Blood Noir'. It can't be any worse, can it?

Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeek! Double post... Embarassed

dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanics of the Automobile

It's a textbook from a correspondence course from 1976 that I found at a friends house...I actually found it really good, as I recently abandoned my car as it broke down on the motorway and myself and several helpful motorists couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, except a mechanic who unhelpfully suggested my options were taking apart the engine, replacing a part and rebuilding the engine, or just getting a new engine, neither of which was helpful on the side of the motorway, at least half an hour from the nearest decent sized town, and at least and hour and a half from any city.

And I have next to no money Sad

I've always understood how motors work, but more the general idea of a motor, and different types of generalised motors, never the mechanics specifically of an automotive motor. But now that I've begun to study it more in-depth, I not only see what it seems was wrong with my car, but that the mechanic was right (not that I didn't think he would be Razz ). However, I enjoy learning about systems and how things work and this old-fashioned manual is just what I needed, along with some practical experience which I'm sure I'll get when/if I get a new car.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: