James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 4>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Steven Brust's 'Jhegaala'; the latest in the tales of Vlad Taltos, assassin, gangster and man on the run... I had some issues with what Vlad's perspective allowed me to get out of the tale but on the whole I really enjoyed it (a sweet mixture of detective tales and fantasy) and will probably find more of these books to read. My full review is over Here.
I don't know what to read next, probably whatever comes to hand when I'm heading off to work tomorrow...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Mark D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, some argue that Tamora Pierce writes for the younger audience...but i have to say i am reading her second series of books and i am in love with them. My girlfriend made me read them so i guess i should thank her!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
Just finished reading Adrian Tchaikovsky's 'Empire in Black and Gold', intrigue and warfare in a land where humans take power from a 'totem insect' (pretty cool if you're a Wasp, not so cool if you're a silkworm or something like that).
It's by no means perfect but I haven't had so much fun reading a book in a long time and I can't wait for the next installment. My full review is over Here.
I'm now reading Al Ewing's 'I, Zombie' which looks like a cross between 'Night of the Living Dead' and 'The Matrix' so far...

That is my next read. Just on Richard Morgan's The Steel Remains. Not too sure about this one yet... read some good reviews, but having a problem getting into it. Then again, I've been working so much this week (away next week and need to catch up on stuff) that I've been falling asleep after reading just a few lines!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The Steel Remains' is a great read but it did take me a while to get into it, I reckon it's worth sticking with though Very Happy

Just finished reading John Scalzi's 'The Ghost Brigades', a tale of one very special recruit to the Colonial Defence Force's Special Forces, a group of soldiers created from the DNA of the dead...
After a stodgy start (too many info-dumps) 'The Ghost Brigades' rocked in more ways than one. A book that makes you laugh, pretend that you've got dust in your eye and also think about some of the issues that Scalzi raises. My full review is over Here.
No idea what I'm going to read next but I reckon it'll be something fantasy based this time round...

Max Power

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clash of Kings by George RR Martin (really enjoyed the first one, and the second is straight into the story), and The Wishsong of Shannara (slightly cliched, but it is nearly 30 years old).
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The Wanderer's Tale' by David Bilsborough

Have to read something whilst waiting for Ravensoul!! I'm a few chapters in and, though it's not exactly fast-paced (thus far) and Bilsborough's writing is descriptive to the point of obsession, it's obvious there's a massive amount of world-building and history behind it so it's got me turning the pages.
Hobbit_SFFWorld

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh. Let us know what you think of that one, Drizzt. I'll not say anything until you've read it.

Mark
Alia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day has come again, when I need to choose another book to read. 1000+ pages of "Lod" finished, enjoyed it very much, although in a more intellectual manner. And now what? Lynch's "Red seas under red skies"? Clarke's "The Ladies of Grace-Adieu"? Scalzi's "Old man's war" (although in theory it's my husband's birthday gift)? A collection of Polish horror stories? Or perhaps a Polish horror novel set on the western front during the Great War?
I hate making choice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am catching up on reading, I am a little behind (why does pregnancy make it harder to concentrate???)
Anyway my reading list this wek is:

"For a Few Demons more" and "Where Demons Dare" - Kim Harrison.
"The Burning Man" - Mark Chadbourn
Grimms fairytales - every night!!

I have been reommended to get a hold of Freda Warrington's "Blackbird" series. Has anyone read it and would you recommend it??
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Peter V. Brett's 'The Painted Man'; a tale of humanity's struggle against demons and the consequences of a young boy's decision to fight them himself. It sounds a bit of a cliche, and sometimes it is, but once you get past the first few pages what you find is a fast paced, character focussed tale that certainly sucked me in and had me wanting to find out what happened next. The blurb says that fans of Feist and Gemmell will love 'The Painted Man' and I can see this being the case. If you're into stuff that's a little deeper though then this might not be for you... My full review is over Here.
I've now got Kristin Cashore's 'Graceling' on the go and then it may be time to see if Tim Lebbon is as good as I've heard...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Michael Moorcock's 'The Ice Schooner', the tale of a frozen earth and the men who pilot... er... ice schooners across it's surface. For a book that's only 157 pages long there's a hell of a lot going on, almost too much as the ending seems a little rushed and anti-climatic. It's still an entertaining read though and one that's worth picking up if you fancy a quick read or if you've never read anything by Michael Moorcock and want to give him a go. My full review is over Here.
Still working my way through 'Graceling'...

Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

postponed my continual reading of Steven Erikson's Midnight tides to pick up a book by some guy called Barclay

RAVEN!! RAVEN WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawnthief still has me wanting to charge across the room and batter my collegues with a rolled up pad of paper!!!

(doing spell research for D&D game really since i cant get any help!! hint hint James)
Tk421

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Red Seas Under Red Skies"

The beginning is still brimming over with excessive smugness just like it's predecessor, but it's pretty decent.
Selik

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantyluoto wrote:
Dawnthief still has me wanting to charge across the room and batter my collegues with a rolled up pad of paper!!!

What? Not even a little bit of sharp metal? Couldn't the paper have staples in it?
I'm not sure paper-cutting your colleagues to death quite has the right sound to it.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tk421 wrote:
"Red Seas Under Red Skies"

The beginning is still brimming over with excessive smugness just like it's predecessor, but it's pretty decent.

Once the plot kicks in, it's a better read
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: