James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 4>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skandranon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just finished reading Adrian Tchaikovsky's 'Empire in Black and Gold

I was thinking of getting that Deornoth , i think you just made up my mind. Very Happy

Ive just finished William Napiers third installment of his Attila books (The Judgment). Its quite brutal , but i suppose its expected from Attila , but an enjoyable read and a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy .
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skandranon wrote:
Quote:
Just finished reading Adrian Tchaikovsky's 'Empire in Black and Gold

I was thinking of getting that Deornoth , i think you just made up my mind. Very Happy

Yay! Very Happy I think everyone should read it, hope you enjoy it if you do pick it up.

'The Force Unleashed' turned out to be better than I expected in the end. It still reads very much like a computer game, with its 'beat the boss and get to the next level' approach in the first few chapters, but it's great fun at the same time with pretty much everything that a Star Wars fan (like me) wants from a Star Wars book. My full review is over Here.
I'm keeping it sci-fi, for the time being, with Walter Jon Williams' 'Implied Spaces' up next but I'm also going a little bit retro with the Michael Moorcock novella 'The Jade Man's Eyes'...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finished reading Michael Moorcock's 'The Jade Man's Eyes', at only seventy four pages long it didn't exactly take long! What looks like a quick and easy 'Sword and Sorcery' tale turns out to be a lot more with an exploration of Elric's complex nature and events that are pivotal to the whole sequence. Definitely one for any Elric fans who haven't already read it in 'The Sailor on the Seas of Fate', my full review is over Here.
I've still got 'Implied Spaces' on the go which should be enough to keep me going through the weekend...

Alia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Dukaj's "Lod" now and I'm thoroughly enchanted. I'm so far on page 250, which would be the end of many novels, but this one is a solid, over 1000 pages long hardcover. And I love it - although it's not an easy read. Written in 19th century style, 19th century ortography and grammar, with a lot of Russian borrowings, it mixes real and fictitious characters (Nikola Tesla plays an important role) and puts the reader in the middle of a world that is very similar to our 1924, but also very different. Anyway, I can't wait to read it to the end.

The only problem is - you'll probably never read it. Of all Dukaj's works, this one is probably impossible to translate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost my ability to read anything. Shocked Need a new Barclay book to snap me out of it. Wink
Max Power

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wait for a new one? I'm re-reading Demonstorm at the moment and it's all getting a little tense!!!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will James be giving us an advance look? Very Happy

I've just finished reading Walter Jon Williams' 'Implied Spaces'; a space opera/hard(ish) sci-fi tale of pocket universes, AIs, pod people and zombies! I don't get hard sci-fi stuff at all but 'Implied Spaces' wasn't too hard to follow at all, plenty of entertaining stuff to get into and the intrigue was particularly... er... intriguing...
'Implied Spaces' is a short read though (261 pages) and at times it felt like too much was being crammed into too small a space, there were bits that I definitely thought could do with some expansion. My full review is over Here.
This week is a week for reading fairly short books so I've got Robert Buettner's 'Orphanage' and John Scalzi's 'Old Man's War' on the go.

TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished Myrenn's Gift by Fiona McIntosh which Lizzy very kindly loaned me eons ago! Laughing

I enjoyed it as much as I've enjoyed any book for a long time and would heartily recommend to anyone who enjoys a clever little tale! Looking forward to reading the next one in the series and Lizzy, I'll let you have it back at FantasyCon if our paths don't cross before then! Laughing
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Power wrote:
Why wait for a new one? I'm re-reading Demonstorm at the moment and it's all getting a little tense!!!

I've already done that rather a lot already Razz
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finished Robert Buettner's 'Orphanage', a book that bears more than a passing similarity to the move 'Starship Troopers'... a little too much, for me, in fact.
The book did redeem itself though with some memorable characters, bleak backgrounds and an entertaining style. I'll stick around for the next book at least. My full review is over Here.
I'm now well into John Scalzi's 'Old Man's War' which is a far superior read...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading John Scalzi's 'Old Man's War', not a perfect read by any means but is one of those books where I was left wondering why I didn't pick it up sooner.
I got the feeling that life was perhaps a little too easy for our hero, John Perry, but the story itself more than made up for this with sympathetic characters, space battles and vicious alien races to spare. I can't wait to get into the rest of the series! My review is over Here.
I'm taking a break from sci-fi, for a bit, and am now reading 'Iron Kissed' by Patricia Briggs.

Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Patricia Briggs' 'Iron Kissed', third in the 'Mercedes Thompson' series. It follows the same lines as the previous two books but avoids becoming repetitive by ramping up the action and the urgency. It's an entertaining read and I'm hoping there will be more to come. My full review is over Here.
I've never read anything by Steven Brust so I thought I'd give his new book, 'Jhegalla', a go next...

Futre4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apocalypse watch by robert ludlum

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Parmenion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila the judgement: william napier
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heart of the Mirage- Glenda Larke

First of all 10/10 for her getting me back into reading. A further 10/10 for it also being a first person book with a female lead character!

Normally I'm not so sure on first person. It depends on whose written it. When it comes to female lead characters I avoid them at all costs because 9 times out of 10 they're irritating cretins who are completely unrealistic.
Clearly Ligea Gayed is the 1 out of 10 characters who isn't like that.

Woohoo for Glenda Larke!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: