James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instruments...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest problem with guitar, bass, piano etc is not understanding theory...I don't really know what it means to stay in key, what notes are available to you and so forth, although I can very easily tell if someone's playing out of key...it doesn't matter much, as I'll probably be a drummer, or vocalist, because I don't have trouble staying in key with my voice, even if I change pitch etc

Alex, Asher and I had a pretty big jam today, it was pretty cool, I was on bass, they were on guitar, but it's easy to see that Asher completely dominates us musically. It was a lot of fun though, except my job as bassist seem to be the entire rhythm section because we had no drums, so I didn't have much room to be creative, although I did make a cool few bass riffs Cool
Max Power

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik wrote:
Smile I get what you're saying. I think we need a few more people like those from this other forum in my area.
People around here are very judgemental (though that could be because I went to a school where everyones heads were stuck up their...hmm, yeah well) anyway, it seems that you're only accepted as a musician if you can read music around here, unless you're in an alternative bar where half the people can't read music and play ten times better than those who can Wink
Still, I think there's bonuses to being both. Having the ability to read music, helps a lot but on the other hand, if you can't read music, then you have to use your hearing a alot more and train yourself to listen for things you mightn't otherwise have to because it's all written down. At least that's my take on it anyway.

Speaking as a trained musician (throughout secondary school), I think that it's great that someone tries and plays - they don't need to read music or be trained to have a go. In fact I get jealous of people who can listen to tunes and play them back even though they don't have formal training. I have a theory that having formal training drums out of you the ability to just listen and play as you analyse the music more, trying to play exactly what's written on the score (well, that's my excuse anyway!!!), whereas music is about expresing yourself as well.

As for 'real' musicians looking down their noses at people who can't read music - not having any of that. I can appreciate how good professional musicians are, and I am quite vocal about people performing live at classical concerts and the like (I expect to hear very few, if no, mistakes), but everyone should feel they are able to have a go at playing music.
Kerela

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new flute Very Happy more exactly a Quena . The sound is really beautiful (OK, only if I actually manage to produce a sound, what at the moment only happends every 5th try, but if I keep practising (some month or so Rolling Eyes ) eventually I'll manage to play something Laughing ).

By the way: Please tell me, that it's absolutely normal to give your flutes names Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Well it's certainly normal to name guitars and drums. I'm not sure about flutes. But hey, if you want to name it, name it. I've named my keyboard Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: