James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instruments...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Instruments... Reply with quote

Anyone play any/Still play any? If so what are they?

I'm interested cos recently i've taken up a couple of random new instruments which are likely to give all within a 20 mile radius a big headache. One of these being....the bagpipes.

My mam knows, and she's set to work a 60+ hour week when I play Laughing

Other than that i'm pretty much anything that's thrown in my direction, although the stringed instruments take me longer to learn.
I'm currently about to start playing guitar again so I can include them in my projects.

Oh and on another note *waits from rotten veg to be thrown* is there anyone else out there who plays instruments without having any knowhow on reading music?
I get lots of people thinking i'm mental cos I randomly play anything I get my hands on, despite being crap at reading music; in fact I just plain can't. I do it all by sound. Anyone else like that at all?
dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends, who I refer to as "the dicks", all live in a flat and my god it's a musical flat...all 5 people play instruments, 2 bass guitarists and 3 guitarists...2 of them are brothers and their youngest brother, who is 14, is also an excellent guitarist.

Of course, spending so much time with them (I spend more time in their flat than my own Razz ) I've managed to acquire some music skills. At their flat, they have 2 bass guitars, 1 bass amp (the other was stolen in broad daylight Sad ), 3 electric guitars, 3 guitar amps and we're soon to get a drum kit, and of course Alex (the 14 year old brother) often brings his acoustic around.

We're actually thinking of making a band, the Stringer brothers and I, with me on drums (I'm nowhere near as talented at guitar...I still haven't learnt any chords except one, and the minor of that chord Razz but I improvise really well, apparently), also, I bought a computer off a friend, which I only bought because she needed money, so I'm going to get some recording and mixing software and we're going to record our jams. We jam almost every week...on Sundays, on a tv station they have a "classic" movie at 8.30 (almost always something worth watching...last week was revenge of the nerds Very Happy ), then later with Jools Holland, and we always pray it's a good show (it has a tendency to be either great, or just absolute rubbish...this week had the red hot chilli peppers and Thom Yorke! I know it's an old episode but it's the greatest!) and after watching them perform, usually there's a jamming session. Unfortunately, I have to go to work after that so I don't partake, but usually friday and saturday nights before we hit up some parties we'll thrash something out.

I've gone from knowing nothing about music and assuming that anyone who is good at an instrument must know musical theory and be able to read music, to someone who can play most things I pick up to an amateurish level. It didn't help that my mum's an amazing pianist and organist and I always assumed all musicians understood the theory of music like she does Razz

Lastly, nobody at the flat, or our associated group, 90% of whom are musical, can read musical scores. We can all read tabs, but they aren't hard.
Selik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hail the might that is the 'tab' Smile

I wish I had more space to be honest. I've just had a clearout and i've got several binbags full of crap and still I have no room for a drum kit, but that's cos I currently live out of one room in my mam's house.
I have to make do with a drum machine which is backwards to the normal style. I think it's a left hander or something and I learnt drums right-handed which doesn't help.
Also drum machines as i've come to realise sound nothing like the real deal and it's difficult to get the sticks in the right place. Often you end up whacking the plastic instead of the drumhead which sounds really bad, especially if you're recording.
Roll on getting a house.... I intend to buy a full size kit, then. (Oh Drizzt, did I mention that? Wink ) It's okay we already have a full size rowing machine to fit in. It's amazing the things I get when I have money in the sales. Handy things that I invariably have no room for Laughing

Still, I will have my guitar later this week. I'm honoured to have been given the chance to buy a unique Fender for ?50. Mainly because it belongs to my mate, and was the guitar his friend played until he died last year. So this'll be treated like gold.

Can't wait to start getting some of the sounds recorded either with the folk sounds I've already got. Should be great!

What kind of band would you be putting together, Ian?
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to become adept at the lottery so we can build a studio, aren't I? Razz
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, mightn't be necessary. Much as I like recording at home now I may soon have the ability to record in someone else's studio Very Happy

One of my projects is about to be signed!! Granted i'd have to travel to Bristol for the recording, but i'm sure something can be arranged Razz

All we'll need is storage for (by that time), several guitars, a drum kit, mic and stand, keyboard and stand, stands for everything else, accessories boxes, bagpipes, piano accordian (eventually), wooden flutes etc Twisted Evil

so erm... not much space needed. Laughing Although to be fair, if I can most of that already into my one room here, it shouldn't actually take up too much more space. It'll be the drums more than anything.
Tk421

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working on guitar learning myself. As soon as I can actually play properly I want an SG. I cant read music either so it's tabbing for me.

And last weekend I very nearly bought a flying V, purely for its symbolism.
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of guitar you got?
Alia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play the piano when I was a kid. But frankly speaking, I have no musical talent whatsoever - it was my dad's ambition and I stopped doing this after three or four years. But at least I learnt to read the notes.
dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Alex (the 14 year old) and I are huge blues fans, James is into psychedelic stuff and Asher is into heavy rock, but we all sort of cross-over, and we all have many artists we like in common...Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, White Stripes, Strokes, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Beatles...just anything really. All our tastes are varied but similar and quite compatible Razz

Also, Alex (the other one, who is 20), James and I are really keen to make some more psychedelic, other-worldly type music together, with computer effects and so forth...the other guys tend to dismiss things like hiphop and pop music but we think that all music must have some kind of redeeming quality, so I imagine we'll be pushing the envelope together as well in the future, but I think that'll be once I get a guitar. I'm also thinking of building a theremin.
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, sounds like you'll have one interesting sound once you finally do get together. Smile
Kerela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough* well I just re-started to play the flute Rolling Eyes and I'm learning to play the Tin Whistle. And I can read notes, although not as good as I would like to (need still a bit to long till the not I just read is in my fingers Laughing ), I really wish I could just play what I hear but I can't Sad
Once I also started playing the guitar, but somehow I stopped, now I'm really sorry for that as last week I saw again lots of people playing the guitarr and it's such a beautiful instrument Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tk421

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik wrote:
What kind of guitar you got?

A fender squire at the moment.
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerela wrote:

Once I also started playing the guitar, but somehow I stopped, now I'm really sorry for that as last week I saw again lots of people playing the guitarr and it's such a beautiful instrument Rolling Eyes

That's what i'm like with the cello. I used to play when I was 11, but then I had to start paying for the lessons (they were done through school), and cos my sister had got a lot of expensive things from my parents that year I said I didn't want to continue playing. The lessons were really expensive...still regret doing it though. Cello's a great instrument.

TK421 wrote:

a Fender squire at the moment

oooh, nice Smile colour? (the all important question of course) :-p
Tk421

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

oooh, nice Smile colour? (the all important question of course) :-p

lol black with a white faceplate. And the strap is the best looking strap I've ever seen. Made to look like that yellow crime scene tape.

I've got a very definite idea on what I want from my SG too. Black with blue flames.
Selik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeeeeeeeet, and yeah, i've seen those straps. Really cool. I was considering getting one, but it wouldn't go with the red of the guitar (deep bloodish red).

Still I could always get a fire dept. one, but that just wouldn't have the same effect.

There are however a couple of stockists near me where I can get a good strap with flames and lightening and all kinds of cool stuff on.
I already have one, which is black with a white skull impaled on a blade (thankkies go to Drizzt for that one), but it's always good to have two or three:
A) In case one breaks and you need another
B) For the sheer hell of it and changing them and using lots of different cool ones.

You know i'm beginning to discover where all my money is going. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: