James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 3>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerela

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dear Krauts A book by an english journalist, who lives in Berlin. Quite funny, till now Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Robert V.S. Redick's The Red Wolf Conspiracy which was pretty good and I'd recomend it to any fantasy fans.

I'm just starting The End of Mr Y by Scaret Thomas. The book is a ?thought experiment? (which according to Wikipedia is a way of explaining the way something works by telling it in a story). However, the book is also about a book that is a thought experiment. Very high brow methinks! Typical Canongate. However, I think it can just be enjoyed as a contemporary adventure story without getting bogged down by it all.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Daniel Abraham's 'A Betrayal in Winter', essentially a 'murder mystery' tale that becomes far more through Abraham's vivid characterisation and deft worldbuilding. I'm now a big fan of this series and am eager to see how it all ends, I just wish they had done a little more with the Andat this time round... My full review is over Here.
I'm now reading 'Jumper' (Steven Gould) which I thought was the 'book of the film' but it turns out that the film is actually 'the film of the book'...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently reading the new R. A. Salvatore book 'The Orc King'. Thoroughly enjoying it, plenty of action and it seems to be building into something promising... here's hoping it delivers! Very Happy
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imperium, by Robert Harris

Excellent. Really excellent. All about the politics of Rome and the rise of Cicero through the ranks. Actually, that's way too basic an outline but it'll do.
Kerela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matchball in Moldavia by Tony Hawks (Nearly as good as Round Ireland with a fridge Very Happy ) and Well-Schooled Murderer by Elizabeth George. I simply had to read it again after I've seen what these BBC-Series did to these beautiful books Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading 'Jumper' (Steven Gould). I've heard really bad things about the film so was pleased to see that the book is nothing like the film at all. There's a really good balance between David cutting loose with his teleportation and at the same time being held back by some basic rules (although sometimes things go awry) so he doesn't become uber powerful. There's a nice 'coming of age' theme going on as well. I loved it and my full review is over Here.
I'm now well into 'Jumper: Griffin's Story' which is more of a 'book of the film' kind of deal...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I've now finished reading 'Jumper: Griffin's Story' (Steven Gould), a tie-in novel for the movie. It's a fairly entertaining read but suffers from being a pretty much carbon copy of the original story. The main character is pretty one-dimensional and some of the 'suspension of disbelief' required pushes things a little too far... My full review is over Here.
I thought I'd give Anne McCaffrey another go so have started reading 'Maelstrom'. Children who can turn into seals, I can feel my little heart sinking already...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really tried to finish 'Maelstrom' (Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Scarborough) but realised, about a hundred and forty pages in, that I didn't care about the story or its 'so perfect that I wanted to punch them' characters. I put the book down and will not be picking it up again, have a look at my 'I can't believe I read this' review over Here.
I'm now reading Clive Warner's 'Rebody', a look at the perils of taking out cryogenic insurance...

Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
Just finished reading 'Jumper' (Steven Gould). I've heard really bad things about the film so was pleased to see that the book is nothing like the film at all. There's a really good balance between David cutting loose with his teleportation and at the same time being held back by some basic rules (although sometimes things go awry) so he doesn't become uber powerful. There's a nice 'coming of age' theme going on as well. I loved it and my full review is over Here.
I'm now well into 'Jumper: Griffin's Story' which is more of a 'book of the film' kind of deal...

I've heard mixed reviews of the film, some people really like it and for others it a bit "meh". I do hear that the book is very different - deals with child abuse and such things?
Alia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked if I could do a review of "Dune: Butlerian Jihad" for an s-f/fantasy magazine. I declined, because it's a long novel, I don't have much time and sincerely dislike the idea of writing novels after the original author's death. But maybe I'm wrong - has anyone read it?
Deornoth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wulfa_Coldheart wrote:
I've heard mixed reviews of the film, some people really like it and for others it a bit "meh". I do hear that the book is very different - deals with child abuse and such things?

I haven't seen the film but read an online synopsis that appears to bear little resemblance to the book. The book does have an element of child abuse and a scene where the main character is almost raped, it's very much a 'rites of passage' novel and the 'jumping' is almost incidental at times. I'm actually really glad I read it, I found the whole thing really gripping.

Finished reading Clive Warner's 'ReBody' (it's nice and short), a tale a cryogenic head insurance gone wrong... Despite wandering off on tangents, when it should be concentrating on the plot, 'ReBody' is an entertaining read with all the ingredients needed for a decent 'pulp sci-fi' story. It has also made me reconsider having my body frozen at the point of death Wink my review is over Here.
It's time for some horror now so I'm reading Nate Kenyon's 'Bloodstone', apparently a Stoker Award finalist in 2006...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading 'Bloodstone' by Nate Kenyon. While it suffers (slightly) from being a little too 'Stephen King' for comfort it's a genuinely scary read (for me anyway) that built up my expectations and then knocked them straight down again. Well worth a look (imho) if you see a copy. My full review is over Here.
I'm now well into Kelley Armstrong's 'No Humans Involved'...

Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the End of Mr Y. It was an interesting read... out of my comfort zone really, but never-the-less interesting.

Just about to start "The Age of Misrule" by Mark Chadbourn. Never heard of him before till Lizzy mentioned him here. Found the first series in a omibus on amazon so looking forward to starting that sometime tonight. Sound quite an interesting concept.
Max Power

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age of Misrule is a great series - I really enjoyed it. Set in Britain, with Celtic mythology, really well written, and a neat little tour round our fair shores as well!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: