James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 3>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished White Night by Jim Butcher (the 9th Dresden novel). Pretty good, better than the last one which got a bit silly.

Now reading Robert V.S. Redick's The Red Wolf Conspiracy. It sounds like a bad sci-fi novel to be, but it's a fantasy book. Lots of hype about the book from the publisher (James' own Gollancz), but so far it's been a pretty good read. Only a few chapers in though!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alia wrote:
I gave up reading Cook's series after "Deadly Quicksilver Lies". I liked the series a lot, but this book did it for me.

'Whispering Nickel Idols' is the only one I've read so far and I'm in two minds over whether to pick any more up Confused I might just stick with his fantasy stuff...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Alia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:

'Whispering Nickel Idols' is the only one I've read so far and I'm in two minds over whether to pick any more up Confused I might just stick with his fantasy stuff...

Try the first one, "Sweet Silver Blues". If you like it, you can read the first 4 or 5. Later it gets boring.
Max Power

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alia wrote:
Game of Thrones is great, I enjoyed it very much. There isn't that much fantasy (at least in the first novel) but there is a lot about how history is really made, rulers rise to power and then are overthrown, alliances are made and broken. Definitely good read.

I've been reading this for the last three nights before I go to bed and I'm a couple of hundred pages in already - really easy to read, but also lots of depth and intrigue. There hasn't been much fantasy so far, but the characters immediately engage me, and I'm looking forward to the development of the plot.
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Power wrote:
Alia wrote:
Game of Thrones is great, I enjoyed it very much. There isn't that much fantasy (at least in the first novel) but there is a lot about how history is really made, rulers rise to power and then are overthrown, alliances are made and broken. Definitely good read.

I've been reading this for the last three nights before I go to bed and I'm a couple of hundred pages in already - really easy to read, but also lots of depth and intrigue. There hasn't been much fantasy so far, but the characters immediately engage me, and I'm looking forward to the development of the plot.

I've been thinking about reading GRRM for a while now, but keep putting it off... comparrisons to Bakker and Errikson have put me off.
Alia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wulfa_Coldheart wrote:
I've been thinking about reading GRRM for a while now, but keep putting it off... comparrisons to Bakker and Errikson have put me off.

Funny thing is, GRRM was the first, "Gardens of the Moon" appeared a couple of years later and Bakker came much later. So as far as comparisons are concerned, Erikson and Bakker should be compared to Martin, not the other way round. Wink
Anyway, I sincerely recommend Martin.
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alia wrote:
Funny thing is, GRRM was the first, "Gardens of the Moon" appeared a couple of years later and Bakker came much later. So as far as comparisons are concerned, Erikson and Bakker should be compared to Martin, not the other way round. Wink

That is kinda what I meant - that the books have been compared. I know Martin was about for a while before Erikson and Bakker.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alia wrote:
Deornoth wrote:

Try the first one, "Sweet Silver Blues". If you like it, you can read the first 4 or 5. Later it gets boring.

I might just do that, too many books to get through first though...

Finished reading 'The Prodigal Troll' this morning (I've got the day off work! Very Happy ), very much like 'Tarzan' but with trolls instead of apes. It's slightly confusing at times (with a human seeing other humans through 'troll eyes') but is still an engaging read with a nice balance of world building and plot. I'm certainly up for reading the next one and my full review is over Here.
I don't really know what I'm going to read next, could be 'The Wanderer's Tale' (David Bilsborough) but it could just as easily be anything else... Very Happy

Lizzy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth did you ever finish Twilight Herald by Tom Lloyd? I'm about 2/3rds through and I really like it. It's a complex story with alot of characters and plot but I find it easy to read and absorbing enough. Plus I really like how Isak has developed from the first book.

Manty, if you've not read them I think you'd like them, Stormcaller being the first.

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of Stormcaller. Really liking it, but i'm having to take a break from reading cos of Uni work. Sad
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzy wrote:
Manty, if you've not read them I think you'd like them, Stormcaller being the first.

i've been debating this for a while and i will set too and get them. AFTER i read the 12 Terry Goodkind books i've got to read next.

Thanks for the Tip though Chilly Wink
Tk421

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Tom's a good laugh too!
Max Power

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wulfa_Coldheart wrote:
Alia wrote:

That is kinda what I meant - that the books have been compared. I know Martin was about for a while before Erikson and Bakker.

I've read two of Erikson's books so far and I don't really see the comparison with GRRM. Game of Thrones is a more linear story for me, whereas Gardens of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates make you work more to figures out what's going on. Having said that, I'm liking both authors and will be seeking out more of their works, when Borders next has a 3 for 2 offer!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzy wrote:
Deornoth did you ever finish Twilight Herald by Tom Lloyd?

I had real trouble getting into it so I put it to one side for a bit. I'm not sure what the problem was, maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but it's still there waiting to be read in the near future Very Happy
I've just finished reading 'A Shadow in Summer', the first book in Daniel Abraham's 'Long Price' quartet. It felt like a mixture of 'laying foundations for future books' and 'excessive worldbuilding at the cost of the plot' but I stuck with it and it got a hell of a lot better as the story progressed. I'm certainly up for the next installment, if only to see how things progress between Otah-Kvo and Maati. My full review is over Here.
I'm currently working my way through 'The Wanderer's Tale' (David Bilsborough) and it's not looking great I have to say! I've also started on David Keck's 'In a Time of Treason'...

Edited to add...

I've been trying to get into 'The Wanderer's Tale' (David Bilsborough) but ended up putting this down, probably never to be picked up again! I liked the concept (and the background history that the author was putting together) but reading the prose was like trudging through thick mud, excessive descriptions and un-neccessary long words that jarred me out of what I was reading. Also, any book that includes the phrase 'fifteen years later' really isn't thinking about how the story has been put together... Rolling Eyes My full review is over Here.
I'm well into David Keck's 'In a Time of Treason' which is turning out to be a much better read than its predecessor...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading 'In a Time of Treason' (David Keck) where our hero knight Durand now has to contend with the onset of civil war as well as his feelings for his Lord's wife. 'In a Time of Treason' has the same flaws that made 'In the Eye of Heaven' so difficult to read but learns a few lessons and comes out showing a marked improvement, I'm looking forward to the final instalment 'A King in Cobwebs'. My full review is over Here. I'm now moving onto Daniel Abraham's 'A Betrayal in Winter'...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: