James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 3>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Ruckley's "Winterbirth" not too sure yet only 20 pages in. CAnt pronounce half the names which is a general put off to me.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Chris Wooding's 'The Fade', a story of underground warfare (on a planet where binary stars make living on the surface almost impossible) and one woman's part in the direction that the hostilities take. This is a real gripping tale full of intrigue, double-crossing and brutal combat 'set pieces' where I just wanted to do nothing but turn the pages to see what happened next. The only problem I had was that because the plot was so tight and controlled (as well as the book only being just over 300 pages long) it felt that the story sold itself short by not having time to go into the background world/history more. Hopefully there will be a sequel or more stories set in the same world. My review is over Here .
I'm now finishing off Jennifer Rardin's 'Biting the Bullet' and then it will be straight onto Phillip Palmer's 'Debateable Space'.

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death of a superhero. It's about a 14 year old boy with cancer, who deals with his impending death by inventing a cartoon superhero, which represents himself, and eventually, by imagining he is the superhero and his life is a cartoon. Obviously, it's a bit more complex than that though Razz
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds pretty cool, who's the author?

Finished reading 'Biting the Bullet' (Jennifer Rardin) on the train to work this morning. It's one of those books that has everything I hate about urban fantasy (bit of a Laurell K. Hamilton clone) but still managed to be really entertaining and a fun read. I'm a sucker for gun fights, car chases etc... Nothing really stands out about it but I just know I'll be back for the next installment. My full review is over Here.
I'm now starting on 'Debateable Space' by Philip Palmer, looking good so far...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Philip Palmer's debut 'Debatable Space'; a space opera full of pirates, evil overlords and strange aliens. This is a book that is crammed full of action, intrigue and all sorts of stuff that happens when you least expect it but funnily enough this was where it fell down for me. It felt like the author was trying to do too many things all at once when it might have been best just to concentrate on one or two things instead. It's an entertaining read but I didn't think it met the hype that I've heard about it. My full review is over Here.
I've got no idea what I'm going to read next!

Tk421

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished "Making Money" by Terry Pratchett. Proves to me that he still has it. Moist Von Lipwig is possibly his best character, a conman who tells everyone he's conning them pretty much.
sir robin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deornoth how about 'The black flame' by Rob Mackellar?

Very Happy
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't got a copy of this

Rob any update on the next book? your website is a bit slow....
Tk421

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol the next book has become not the next book if that makes sense... I'm giving Uthan a bit of a break since there was a bit of a downer writing it. Ok so a lot of a downer, last year was anything but a good year for myself and Sir Robin. Anyway... the new book, tentatively titled "March of the Behemoth" is well underway. I think you'll love this one.... well I hope. I'm sort of writing "Legion" along the way, just Behemoth is now taking more and more of that time.

The website is kind of become a put to the side thing for the moment sadly. But it's going to have a completely new look soonish. To tie in with Behemoth.

lol can you tell I love this new one already?

oh and I started Lies of Locke Lamora today.
Max Power

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should like Lies of Locke Lamora - I really enjoyed it.

I've just finished Deadhouse Gates by Steve Erikson and am about to start A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin - don't know much about this book, but always enjoy trying out new authors.

So, Rob, is Behemoth a stand alone book, or does it fit into Uthar's world/timeline?
Tk421

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only a few pages into it Lies of Locke Lamora... still in the prologue in fact. It's not been too bad so far though.

Behemoth is set in a brand new world so no Uthan. Very very few elves as well. They've been all but made extinct. So far it's a stand alone book but there's a possiblity for other storylines. Depends on how much fun I've had with this by the time I finish it really.
Alia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game of Thrones is great, I enjoyed it very much. There isn't that much fantasy (at least in the first novel) but there is a lot about how history is really made, rulers rise to power and then are overthrown, alliances are made and broken. Definitely good read.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir robin wrote:
deornoth how about 'The black flame' by Rob Mackellar?

Very Happy

I might just have to see if I can get hold of a copy Very Happy

I've just finished reading Kay Kenyon's 'The Bright of the Sky', a tale of a star pilot's quest to save his family from servitude in another dimension. It's a little bit more than that though as our hero's every action forces him to re-evaluate everything that he believes in and this leaves things completely up in the air for the rest of the series. There are some problems with pacing but the lush and expansive world I encountered more than made up for this, I'm looking forward to reading more... My full review is over Here.
I'm now well into Glen Cook's 'Whispering Nickel Idols' and it's looking very good so far...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Whispering Nickel Idols' didn't take as long to read as I thought and didn't turn out to be all that good either... I loved the noir atmosphere and the sense of humour that pervaded the story (an investigation into a missing mob boss, strange cases of spontaneous human combustion and a bucket full of kittens) but the ending really let the whole thing down. Garrett (the hero) was relegated to bystander status and the whole case solved within a few pages by Garrett's undead partner who has the happy knack of being able to read minds. A bit of a 'cop-out' if you ask me Rolling Eyes My full review is over Here.
I'm now starting on Charles Coleman Finlay's 'The Prodigal Troll'...

Alia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up reading Cook's series after "Deadly Quicksilver Lies". I liked the series a lot, but this book did it for me.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: