James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 3>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have it! Razz I'll drop it in the post tomorrow if you fancy, I've just picked up Mark Chadbourn's 'Age of Misrule' trilogy (again). Two chapters into book two now and enjoying matters. I just have to make sure I finish the books this time!
Selik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked NEW BOOK!!!!!!! yay. Where are the bouncy smilies when I need them?
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having real trouble getting into 'A Sword from Red Ice' right now so am trying out other stuff instead.
I've just finished reading 'Monster Island' by David Wellington, a story of humans trying to find medical supplies in a New York overrun by zombies (and that's the least of their problems). It's a real slow starter (it really is, took me a couple of weeks to get into this one) but the book really pays off when it gets going. David Wellington has obviously spent a long time thinking over the implications of a zombie apocalypse and comes up with a couple of interesting zombie variants as well. If you're a fan of zombie fiction then this is certainly worth a look. My full review is Here.
I'm now well into 'Inside Straight', the new Wild Cards collection edited by George RR. Martin. There aren't many books that would make me want to go out and find the rest of the series (stretching back over twenty years) but this is one of them!

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
I'm having real trouble getting into 'A Sword from Red Ice' right now so am trying out other stuff instead.

Is that the third book in JV Jones' series?
Futre4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demons and Angels - Dan Brown ....I know its an obvious book to read and perhaps his books are somewhat formulaic and cliched but its a good read so far and like this type of book Very Happy

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Futre4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im also aware that perhaps the last 5 books i have posted on "currently reading " have not been fantasy , I do fully intend to get back into fantasy books and indeed will do in the form of a James Barclay title after the raven collection (im embarrassed to say I havent read any after the first 6 ) , but its pretty tricky to find em over here ) . Maybe Il pop into waterstones when im back over xmas!!.

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tk421

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol no need to explain anything there futre.

I'm reading Twilight Herald at the moment by one mr Tom Lloyd. And so far... a damn good read it is too.
sir robin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished 'under the eagle' last night. Really good book.

Wholeheartedly agree with Manty Macro and Cato are good characters that really help the book along.

Now starting 'The eagles Conquest'
Kerela

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Pratchett - The 5th Elephant

I already know the German translation, and now I'm reading it in English. Terry Pratchett is simply a genius Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tk421

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought making money today. looking forward to that. Although that goes without saying really.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik wrote:
Deornoth wrote:

Is that the third book in JV Jones' series?

It is. Very slow going so far, it's almost as if J.V.Jones is trying to make up for the long gap between books by chucking as much story at us as she can! Makes it very heavy going in places... Confused

Just finished reading 'Inside Straight', the new 'Wild Cards' collection from George RR. Martin (and assorted other authors). Superheroes in Reality TV and saving the world at the same time! I'd never read any of these books before but found this one really easy to get into and hard to put down once I'd started. A book that had me guessing all the way through and thinking about it long after I'd finished, great stuff. My full review is Here.
I started reading 'The Charon Covenant' (Brenda Munday Gifford) but gave up in the face of a dull read and some really bad typos ('no' and 'know' do not mean the same thing!) so I reckon it's back to 'A Sword from Red Ice'...

OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading empire rising by Sam barone 2nd in the series...and pretty good so far.

Christian Cameron Tyrant : read this a wekk back, the proof was riddled with errors but if they get this sorted by the release copy then they have a great book. Set in ancient greece an athenian dismissed from Alexanders army becomes a mercenary and takes his small troop of men to work for a tyrant....the tyrants city comes under the notice of antipater of macedon who needs money...(yep...big battle...lots of blood and choppy chopp stabby stab as Rob would say)

My Top tip for a read is book 2 in Conn Igguldens Ghengis series, Wolf of the plains was a great first book but Lords of the Bow is fantastic, the final battle reminded me of Mr Gemmells work...really very very good stuff.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading 'House Infernal' (Edward Lee), a tale of a haunted house, an evil cult and the machinations of underworld denizens. It was a gripping read (read it over the course of a day) but it was let down by the fact that it wasn't scary or horrifying at all Confused One of those books that you enjoy reading but are left feeling strangely shortchanged... My full review is Here.
I thought I'd go for something that's been on the 'To Read' pile for a while so I'm now reading Mark Wernham's 'Martin Martin's on the other side', what appears to be a tale about a psychic newsagent...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading 'Martin Martin's on the Other Side' (Mark Wernham); a near future tale of dystopian government, superspies and a long dead TV psychic. It's a convoluted tale that didn't make a great deal of sense at times, possibly due to the author preferring to make various statements about government instead. Funnily enough though, it's good fun to read once you get a few pages into it. Maybe it would make more sense after a re-read. My full review is over Here.
'A Sword from Red Ice' is starting to seriously starting to grind me down now. The story is good but the pace is glacial and certain characters are starting to make me bother why I'm reading their chapters... I'm just over halfway through and am wondering if I'll finish before Christmas... Because of this (and because of 'space issues' on the train) I've started reading Michael Moorcock's 'The Metatemporal Detective'.

Max Power

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik wrote:
Mantyluoto wrote:
good film as well Max P, i enjoyed it anyway!!

Gave up on Brethren now reading Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow. Great book so far.....

Accidently bumped into him in Grimsby Waterstones (finally someone interesting to talk to in town). Top bloke and the book does look like it'd be great! Unfortunately it was Drizzt who bought it and therefore has it. I have to wait to nick it off him. Crying or Very sad

Sorry Lou, can't resist!!! 'Accidentally bumped into him'. Did you try to bump into another author and miss?!?!?!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: