James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 3>
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Currently reading <cont 3> Reply with quote

Last post from JovialGnome discussing Alia reading Lies of Locke Lamora

Whilst not wishing traffic jams on you, once you get into Lies of Locke Lamorra you'll enjoy it and may even be looking forward to the jams
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
Kerela

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Jurafski & James Martin - Speech and language processing. An Introduction to Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics, and Speech Recognition

Really exiting Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds, er... cool! Very Happy

Finally got round to posting my review of Jennifer Rardin's 'Another One Bites the Dust', a cross between James Bond and 'Blade'. It's a great read for the train into work but, for me, doesn't stand up to a lot more than just a casual read. I felt like I was being spoonfed a lot of detail when I'm actually quite able to work stuff out for myself! Not a bad read but one where you have to be in the right mood for it.
I'm now finishing off Karen Miller's 'The Awakened Mage' (not as good as 'The Innocent Mage') and then it's back to 'A sword from Red Ice'. I've also been reading Jason Kruse's 'The World of Quest', very funny stuff if you're feeling a little childish...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Karen Miller's 'The Awakened Mage', the concluding part of her 'Kingmaker, Kingbreaker' duology. If you're a fan then I reckon you'll enjoy this but I found it to be full of padding that made the ending seem rushed and tacked on. I also had issues with 'prophecy' being used as a means to get certain characters out of trouble... My full review is over Here.
I'm now back into 'A Sword from Red Ice' but am also picking up Caitlin Kiernan's 'Beowulf' as well.

Max Power

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started Night Watch by Sergei Lukanenko - a vampire story set in Moscow. I'm really enjoying it so far, as it's a new spin on vampires and how they operate in society. Also reading Hounds of Avalon by Mark Chadbourn.
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good film as well Max P, i enjoyed it anyway!!

Gave up on Brethren now reading Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow. Great book so far.....
Alia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that at least some of the Russian writers get translated into English (Lukianienko probably because of the film, but it's still fine). Some of them have really amazing ideas and put new life into fantasy and s-f. Watch out for books by Marina and Sergei Diachenko (if Lukianienko is successful, publishers might decide to translate some other authors) - they are really impressive.
Lizzy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Power wrote:
Also reading Hounds of Avalon by Mark Chadbourn.

That's possibly my fav of all his books. How did you like the other two in that series?

I've just finished Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd. I liked it, especialy the main character Isak. The world building is good on the whole, the story moves along at a good enough pace and he writes a good battle. My main criticism was the politcis involved in it all, who some of the people were and their role got a bit complex. Or rather they weren't fully explored yet, but as it's the first of the series that may get developed.

I also felt one of the deaths wasn't done as well as I would have liked. It was a major event but it was described only in a dream sequence. I didn't feel it did the character justice.

It's well worth reading though.

About to start Anasi Boys, one I've been looking forward to for ages. Smile

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Alia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anansi Boys are great, but I must admit reading through the first few chapters was a bit hard for me - I felt so very sorry for poor Charlie. I guess I just felt a strong affinity with him.
Max Power

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzy wrote:
Max Power wrote:
Also reading Hounds of Avalon by Mark Chadbourn.

That's possibly my fav of all his books. How did you like the other two in that series?

I've just finished Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd. I liked it, especialy the main character Isak. The world building is good on the whole, the story moves along at a good enough pace and he writes a good battle. My main criticism was the politcis involved in it all, who some of the people were and their role got a bit complex. Or rather they weren't fully explored yet, but as it's the first of the series that may get developed.

I also felt one of the deaths wasn't done as well as I would have liked. It was a major event but it was described only in a dream sequence. I didn't feel it did the character justice.

It's well worth reading though.

About to start Anasi Boys, one I've been looking forward to for ages. Smile

Having read Age of Misrule as well, I like the change in direction that the books are going - the human response to the Fall, the shift in emphasis from not knowing what's going on to what can be done about it etc. Two good reads for me.
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and I can't recomed it enough. I've got enjoy reading a book as much as this in over half a year.

It's not for everyone though, there is very little in the way of action, but there is lots of plot and character development that suggest the the books to come are going to be worth reading.

In a way it is kind of like Harry Potter written by Charles Dickens, but that does the book a disservice.
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you like a good quick easy to read story based in the roman era, i cant recommend "Under the Eagle" by Simon Scarrow enough. The main two characters are Centurian Macro and Optio Cata and they are easy to like and i've had a few strange looks as i chuckle at there antics.

A definate by in my book!!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Caitlin Kiernan's 'Beowulf' over the weekend. It's never going to win any awards for 'best fantasy' but it's still a solid entertaining read that I enjoyed. The only issue I had was the 21st century colloquialisms that kept popping up in conversation between Vikings, I guess that would be a problem in a 'book of the film'... My full review is Here
I fancied reading about zombies next so I've got David Wellington's 'Monster Island' on the go. I'm also working my way through 'A Sword from Red Ice' (J.V.Jones) and have got GRRM's 'Inside Straight' waiting in the wings...

sir robin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantyluoto wrote:
if you like a good quick easy to read story based in the roman era, i cant recommend "Under the Eagle" by Simon Scarrow enough. The main two characters are Centurian Macro and Optio Cata and they are easy to like and i've had a few strange looks as i chuckle at there antics.

A definate by in my book!!

that's ironic as i've just started reading this book this morning.

Recently finished read 'Before they are hanged' Really good book and ' Tourniquet' which i'd recommend people to give it a go. My only problem was i got lost in the descriptive, i thought there was abit too much.

BUT there is some cracking moments and banter in there aswell
'
It's by Kim Lakin Smith btw. Smile
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantyluoto wrote:
good film as well Max P, i enjoyed it anyway!!

Gave up on Brethren now reading Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow. Great book so far.....

Accidently bumped into him in Grimsby Waterstones (finally someone interesting to talk to in town). Top bloke and the book does look like it'd be great! Unfortunately it was Drizzt who bought it and therefore has it. I have to wait to nick it off him. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: