James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gaming Pc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Video games and role-playing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Gaming Pc Reply with quote

if i wanted to get/build a good gaming PC that isn't going to need upgrading every 3 minutes what specs should i be looking at?

i tried to install some budge games on my pc last night. they installed but wouldn't play!!!
Malop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better question is, I've got ?xxx spare what should I spend it on.

I can spec you a really nice gaming machine to build from spares and you could buy me a Starbucks with the change from ?2,000 Very Happy

For gaming the two main areas are graphics card and processor, with memory size and hard drive speed next.

You'll need a nice fast graphics card with lots of on-board memory, I'm an ATI fan so would go for a HD2900, but other alternatives are available.

If you want to be playing top range games in two years time you'll need Vista to get DirectX10, unless MS buckle under the pressure for an XP version.

Oh, and cooling, don't forget cooling. I have to have my case of to play games cos the Radeon overheats as my case is chocked with hard drives.
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malop is right, of course... give us a budget and we'll come up with a system for you.

Dell do some well-specced gaming PCs and don't ignore laptops either. Some very high powered stuff there and you can always plug in your laptop to a bigger monitor should you wish. Or that massive plasma screen that is surely hanging on your wall right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Video games and role-playing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: