James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 2>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wulfa_Coldheart wrote:
It got me thinking... should authors re-visit their work and re-write it?

Well, in my country there is at least one writer who has re-written two or three of his novels, one of them at least three times. And fans hate him for that, because it is really difficult to keep track of those earlier and later versions, published by different publishers.
Sometimes some re-writing is necessary for a pretty prosaic reason - imagine you have published your novel, book one of a series, in one publishing house, and they have the rights for it. And then, for one reason or another, you want to change your publisher and you need to publish book one once more. So you have to change it. Those changes may make it a better novel, but still most fans hate it - they need to buy once more something that they have already paid for, in order to keep track of changes.
Malop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Feist "revisit" Magician by adding extra stuff and tidying some bits up?

I think there is some justification for a well established author to revisit their first few books as they will have been quite heavily driven by the editorial process, a lot more so than their later books.

But the tweaks shouldn't be so major that a reader has to go and buy the book again, just enough to make the first time reader enjoy it more.
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
Grace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wulfa_Coldheart wrote:

At home I'm about to start reading Hunters Moon by David Devereux. Devereux is a "magic user" and paranormal investigator so as you can guess the book is kinda like a UK Harry Dresden. Not sure if it is any good, only picked it up as Joe Abercrombie mentioned it on his sit and Gollancz published it.

I've read both of these, but I have to say I think The Dresden Files are better. It's probably because Devereux's main character is, as he says, a total barsteward. Sometimes that's amusing, but here it wasn't.
Tk421

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NicciM wrote:
I just started reading Cabal by Clive Barker...

I'll let you all know how that turns out. lol

Cabal is not too bad. I remember reading it years ago when the movie version was released.
Max Power

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malop wrote:
Didn't Feist "revisit" Magician by adding extra stuff and tidying some bits up?

I think there is some justification for a well established author to revisit their first few books as they will have been quite heavily driven by the editorial process, a lot more so than their later books.

But the tweaks shouldn't be so major that a reader has to go and buy the book again, just enough to make the first time reader enjoy it more.

He did tweak it - the copy I have has the tweaks in. He added more in Pug's 'awakening' as far as I understand, and a few more decsriptive bits here and there. I've not read the original, but his forweood says that he didn't change any plot lines, and the reason he did this is because he had to reduce his word count when it was first published. Seems to scan well to me.
NicciM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tk421 wrote:
NicciM wrote:
I just started reading Cabal by Clive Barker...

I'll let you all know how that turns out. lol

Cabal is not too bad. I remember reading it years ago when the movie version was released.

Let us not speak of "nightbreed" in polite company.

lol
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading 'With the Light' (Keiko Tobe), a Manga book about a mother's struggle to raise her autistic son. I've never read any Manga before (but have seen some anime) so was surprised that there weren't any demonic monsters, or post apocalyptic motorbike chases, but the story is no less hard hitting for it. It's a really poignant and moving tale that will draw you in and have you rooting for your favourite character. I'd recommend it to anyone, full review Here.
I'm now finishing off 'Auralia's Colours' and am looking at reading 'In the Eye of Heaven' (David Keck) next.

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading 'Auralia's Colors' (Jeffrey Overstreet). Although the prose is overdone at times (and characterisation sacrificed for worldbuilding) I thought this was a magical read and it's gentle tone was a refreshing counterpoint to most of the fantasy that I'm reading right now. This is the start of a series where I just know I'll be there for the duration.
My full review is Here.
It's Halloween tomorrow and I've just got an ARC of the new Brian Keene book ('Dark Hollow'), good timing I think! Very Happy

Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Brian Keene's 'Dark Hollow' (due for a Feb 2008) release. An author finds his home town invaded by the kind of pagan god that likes to make off with the town's women and, well... you know... (I couldn't find a lechy smiley so you'll have to make one up yourself Wink ) This creature must be stopped but at what cost?
'Dark Hollow' is brimming with gore but is also a very scarey read at the same time (just right for Halloween). I'd recommend it to fans of Brian Keene or anyone who's after some good horror to read. My full review is Here.
I'm reading the new Star Wars book by Karen Traviss ('True Colours') right now but am also thinking of picking up David Keck's 'In the Eye of Heaven' or Charles de Lint's 'The Ivory and the Horn'.

NicciM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love charles de lint
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick flick through 'The Ivory and the Horn' this morning and it's just been bumped up to the top of the list Very Happy
I reckon this could be a good one Wink

Max Power

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am about 100 pages into The Queen of Sinister by Mark Chadbourn. Not as in-depth and detailed as The Age of Misrul trilogy, but a good read in its own right. Very atmospheric.
Grace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the whole of Snakehead - Anthony Horowitz today. It's the seventh in his Alex Rider series and, though aimed at young teens, I still love these. This latest addition didn't disappoint, and is a darker book than the others.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Legend, R Matheson. Seeing as the movie's out soon I thought I'd best revisit the book.
sir robin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finshed the Troy series.

Good if a little slow burning at times. One Character i thought really good was Gershom in them. Was pleasently surprised who he was in the end Smile

Now i'm reading 'Tourniquet'
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: