James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 2>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerela

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Thief of Time and The Truth were quite cool Very Happy (*sigh* I want to read Pratchett agein, just when? Confused )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running With Sissors: A Memoir - Augusten Burroughs. A extremely weird account of his childhood, growing up in the house of his mother's lunatic psychiatrist. Highly surreal stuff, but touching in places and funny in others.

Mr Pratchett is a genius; I've lost count of the number of times I've reread my favourite books of his. I read Making Money in a day, and now I have to wait months and months before there might be another book. Noooo! Sad
Alia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly read Pratchett in translation (we are lucky to have a really brilliant translator, so nothing is lost in translation, so to say) and therefore "Thief of Time" is the last one that has appeared here.
Kerela

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Alia
In which language do you read Pratchett (sorry if you've already mentioned somewhere, where you're from)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerela - Polish. And no, I haven't mentioned that yet.
Kerela

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The German Pratchett-translations are said to be quite bad, but I admit, that I don't really know if that's true, as till now I've read all books either in English or in German (apart from The amazing Maurice, and there I didn't notice much difference).

You're lucky if you have good translations (but as I study English anyway, it's not to bad to read English books Rolling Eyes )
Alia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerela, I used to read Pratchett in English (British Council has really amazing libraries with a lot of s-f and fantasy stuff) when I was at school, also as a fun way to learn English. But since Polish translations started to appear, I switched to Polish. Our translator is really brilliant and well, Polish editions are usually cheaper than the original ones. And books are pretty expensive here, compared to a typical salary.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading 'The Inferior' (Peadar O Guilin), a story of Darwinism and cannibals in a future world that is... I'm not going to tell you Wink (even though the blurb spoils it before you've even started reading! Evil or Very Mad) 'The Inferior' is a great page turner, there's always something happening although some of the content means that it's hard to work out whether this is a YA book or one for adults. Read it anyway, it's well worth a look Wink My full review is Here
I'm now reading David Keck's 'In the Eye of Heaven' and I've also got J.V.Jones' 'A Sword from Red Ice' on the go as well.

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to a power-cut at work I got to sit at my desk and finish off reading Christopher Moore's 'The Stupidest Angel', a yuletide tale of brain eating zombie Santas (amongst other things). I hadn't been that impressed by his last couple of books but this one made me really fight not to laugh out loud in the office! Definitely recommended (full review is Here).
I'm about halfway through 'In the Eye of Heaven' and things are starting to look up after some confusing bits, I'll be taking 'A Sword from Red Ice' to Vienna with me (at the weekend)

Futre4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Harris - Archangel , its a very good read .

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading David Keck's 'In the Eye of Heaven', a medieval fantasy about a young squire trying to make his fortune in a world that is in danger of slowly unravelling. Heard it all before? Give this a go anyway, David Keck is very good with the worldbuilding and deftly draws some very believeable characters. I was rooting for Durand (the squire) the whole way through, despite some bits in the middle where things slack off. My full review is Here.
'A Sword from Red Ice' has proved a bit too big to fit in my bag (I'm off on holiday today!) so I'll be reading Karen Miller's 'The Awakened Mage' and Jennifer Rardin's 'Another One Bites the Dust'

Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started Robyn Youngs "Brethren". It too is set in the medieval world and it revolves around 2 people as far as i can see.

whether it is good or not remains to be seen
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not a fan of Pratchett... I think he has a team of monkeys writing his books as he seems to produce about 3 a year. I have only read a handful and they were enjoyable, but I see them as rather over hyped.

I'm currently reading "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Routhfuss which is turning out to be quite good. I was a little put off by the size, but so far I'm flying through it and really enjoying it. Tone wise I'd compare it more towards Abercrombie as it does have a humorous almost parody like side to it.
Mark D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trudi Canavan's The Magician's Guild.

A good story so far, its about a girl who finds out she can use magic but she is pretty much a peasant, and theres this guild of magicians that nobody likes but they want this girl to train with them so she goes into hiding.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, it's a great trilogy imo. The last book, The High Lord is the best.

I'm reading Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd, but I'm breaking from it to read some of the Solaris book of New Fantasy, specifically Mark Chadbourn's and Juliet E McKenna's contributions.

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: