James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 2>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote:
I Am Legend, R Matheson. Seeing as the movie's out soon I thought I'd best revisit the book.

It's a classic, I know. I had to read it for my uni course, but I have to say that i'm not a fan. I'll probably enjoy it more as a movie than I did as a book, to be honest.
I don't know exactly what it was that I didn't like. It just never really got me interested.

(Incidently if anyone wants a free copy, I have the one I had to buy for uni going) After all. It'll only go dusty in a corner and fall to pieces otherwise Razz
Grace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitler: My Part in his Downfall - Spike Milligan. Absolutely blooming hysterical. Laughing
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik wrote:

I don't know exactly what it was that I didn't like. It just never really got me interested.

I enjoyed it, moreso than I thought I would but this time around I went through it all in one sitting.

Tis interesting how getting older, even by only a couple of years, can alter what you read into things...
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading George R.R. Martin's 'The Ice Dragon' last night. It's a really quick read (107 pages) but one that will stay with you after you've finished. Martin may be aiming this one at kids but still doesn't pull any punches when it suits him! I'd recommend it to anyone Very Happy Full review is Here. I'm still working my way through 'True Colours' (Karen Traviss) and have no idea what I'll read after that...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading 'True Colours' (Karen Traviss), the latest installment in the 'Republic Commando' series. I went off Star Wars novels a long time ago (they all seemed to merge into one big 'oh look, the Empire has developed yet another superweapon' scenario, this being the case why didn't the Empire deploy all their superweapons at once?) but I thought I'd give this one a go and am really glad I did. It's got a really gritty feel to it (that I haven't seen in other Star Wars books) and it was good to see a book that concentrated on supporting characters and barely mentioned main characters (if at all). I also liked the way that the clones were portrayed (they may look the same but they're not at all) and I really hope that some of the questions raised about the war made George Lucas go all red faced! My full review is Here.
I'm now finishing off Alan Dean Foster's 'Patrimony' (a strong candidate for 'dullest sc-fi ever') and will then be starting on Charles de Lint's 'The Ivory and the Horn'.

Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading 'Patrimony', the latest installment in Alan Dean Foster's 'Pip and Flinx' saga. To say that I didn't enjoy this book would be an understatement bordering on an outright lie. Apparently the author thinks that his readers need to be told every single little thing that goes on in a character's head. I don't need this and I don't think most other readers do either Rolling Eyes 220 pages of this (and using five big words when one little word would do nicely) just made me want to curl up in a little ball and wait for it all to stop. One for the fans only, my full review is Here.
I'm now starting on 'The Ivory and the Horn', a collection of short stories by Charles de Lint, things are looking much better already.

Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading 'The Ivory and the Horn' (Charles de Lint), an urban fantasy collection of short stories set in the fictional city of Newford. What an amazing book this turned out to be, I'm pretty good at the whole 'suspension of disbelief' thing but it's never been as easy to do so as it was with this book. I don't think a book has left me feeling so sad yet elated at the same time, I highly recommend that you find yourself a copy and have a read! My full review is Here.
I'm now roughly halfway through Karl Schroeder's 'Queen of Candesce', a kind of steam-punky sci-fi affair which is looking promising so far...

Lizzy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Charles De Lint.

I have to ask Deornoth, do you do anything else besides read? You are a very prolific reader! Very Happy

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzy wrote:
I like Charles De Lint.

I have to ask Deornoth, do you do anything else besides read? You are a very prolific reader! Very Happy

I commute in London, leaves me a lot of time to read everyday! Very Happy I also find that getting into a good book helps me ignore the fact that the guy next to me has appalling breath and there's a pushchair jammed in the small of my back...
Point taken though, there are loads of threads here that I haven't posted in (didn't mean to look like I was just pimping the blog) Wink

Would now be a good time to say that I finished reading 'Queen of Candesce' (Karl Schroeder)? It was really good... Wink

Alia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean, because I also mostly read on the bus or the underground. Although commuting does not take me so much time, so it takes me a week or more to read through one novel.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for Transport for London (sorry, it was a job and I had to take it) and the free travelcard they gave me means I can only really take the DLR to work in the morning, what used to only take half an hour now takes at least an hour... Rolling Eyes
It's good to catch up with my reading but sometimes I really hate London transport... Evil or Very Mad

Alia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to apologize, I don't commute in London Wink Although I might have liked to, as your tube is probably better than our underground.
Anyway, I don't often write in this topic, because I mostly read translations, which are often published long after they've appeared in the UK, so I would feel a bit stupid writing about how I've just finished reading Pratchett's "The Truth" and "Thief of Time". Or I read our local novels, which will never be translated into English, I'm afraid.
Lizzy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post about any books you've read and if you like them or not. Plenty of books on my 'to read' list have been out ages (and that means years in some cases)

Part of how I add to my list is by what others recommend here.

So keep posting and Deornoth I envy you your reading time but not the journey if that makes sense!

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Kerela

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for reading? How does this actally feel? I think I forgot it Laughing
Anyway I'm reading Hamlet, now, mostly in the bus, and perhaps 10 Min per day at home Confused .
And no it's not voluntarily, but I actaully like it (I already like Macbeth, shoul I look for a therapist, now?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So I've just read Pratchett's "The Truth" and "Thief of Time" and I really liked them. I am a Pratchett fan, but there are some of his novels that I don't like that much. These were very good. "The Truth" is about the birth of modern journalism in Anhk-Morpork, and has some great characters like a couple of killers and a reformed vampire. "Thief of Time" is devoted to Time itself (or rather herself) and makes some fun of wuxia films - and features Susan Sto Helit, the teacher, which added some special points for me (I am also a teacher and I'm also addicted to chocolate). As usual, both were very funny but at the same time included some rather sad truths about our lives.
Anyway, if you like Pratchett, I can recommend them.
Now I'm reading by one of our authors that will probably never be translated into English, which is a pity, because it is really interesting.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: