James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grand National

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Grand National Reply with quote

It's that time of year again, the sweepstakes are out in force and printed in all the papers and the bookmakers are readying for some overtime tomorrow and bonuses next week...

... but, is it cruel? Are the fences too tall? Is it the 'sport' in general which is cruel? Should it be banned?

Or, as the trainers and jockeys tend to claim, is it exactly the opposite? Does it do the horses good to be kept fit, pampered and trained? Is it fun?
Futre4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rarely is my knowledge adequate to offer any strong opinions on debates normally , but in this case I do have a keen interest in horse racing. And inmy opinion horse racing is anything but cruel . Race Horses have an amazing life they do things other horses cannot and will not get the chance to do , and that is a key issue, most horses that are kept in england for example would stand in feilds and get diseases. Indeed the amount of horses in england would be a hell of a lot lower if horse racing didnt exist . Granted there is the chance of them falling and dying in the race but as most entrants have got the age of on average 10 years, thats a pretty good life considering they wouldnt have had a life at all. Racehorses run and swim and have a great time and they are always kept healthy , many go on to be family pets afterwards also . I dont agree with them being put down at all and agree the fences are harsh but in all its a sport that is good to them .

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Sport All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: