James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Habbit of Killing Off The Best Characters SPOILERS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silent Dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Habbit of Killing Off The Best Characters SPOILERS Reply with quote

SPOILERS FOR RAVEN AND ASCENDANTS

Well, just finished reading Shout for the Dead, should of finished it earlier, however due to real life problems and various other things I couldn't.

Anyways, I have noticed in both in Shout for the Dead and Demon Storm that James has a nasty habbit of killing off the best characters. In SFTD, Mirron heroically dies along with Dina Kell. In DS, Hirad, Eriene (Been so long since I last read the Raven series I've forgotten how to spell her name) and a couple of others snuff it (Again I've forgotten the name and not much time to go looking for tit, but the Elf person I grew to admire as well died in Elf Sorrow). Leaves me shouting in my mind "What the? How dare you kill them off you (Insert random abuse here)".

Still, all in all I enjoyed the every book as good as the other and would highly reccommend them to anyone interested in this type of genre.

On a side note, James Barclay is my Uncle in real life (No fooling here, if needs be I'll get him to come on and certify this, although he'll do it in someway to open up ways of abuse and torture towards me) So anyone wanting beatings on him for the killing of favourite characters I accept cheesecakes as payment!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Welcome to the forum!

Have you any idea how much money we're all going to be spending on cheesecakes now? Razz

You might want to put a spoiler warning at the beginning of your post, just in case anyone's yet to read the books.
Ry_Darrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please spoiler this, i havent read shout of the dead yet, and since its in the raven section i could easily have just ruined the book for myself...
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had kind of pointed that out... it's been mentioned, let's not get on SD's case. Methinks we need a 'bat-signal' style system for lurking mods. Lizzy's busy today, someone shout for the mighty Malop!! Very Happy Or Ariel... Very Happy

*goes off to build mod-signal beacon*

Meanwhile, back on topic, which characters do people miss the most?? Oh, and... quite probably...

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW
Lizzy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Silent Dreamer and I've added spoiler warnings.

Sorry I wasn't about sooner to sort it

As for a mod warning system email me, Malop and Ariel, then at least one of us should pick it up.

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Silent Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I apologise greatly for spoiling anything for those who haven't read all the books, wasn't thinking straight. As you can see, I'm new to these forums, don't crucify me so soon >.<;;

Anyways, money spent on cheesecakes and thusly given to me is money well spent if you look on the possible "changes" James might make to how favourite characters meet their ends.

Also, thank you to all for the welcome, glad to see the forum still has its residents ^_^;;
Malop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies as well, a longer than expected upgrade to Vista and Office 2007 has left me offline for a few days.

Back now and no more of that open source rubbish, hurrah.
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:O Open Source rubbish?

How dare you utter such filth here...begone with you! Evil or Very Mad Seriously, how can you trust Vista when they took Window's already poor security and rewrote it? I mean, obviously, that's the best way to create a safe platform for users, instead of adapting and evolving your security, which is complex and deeply layered, just try to write a whole new one. That's a bloody good idea.

Really, that's my main problem with Vista, although you must admit, it does bear a striking resemblance to MacOSX.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nobody's missing any characters then...? Razz
Lizzy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAVEN SPOILERS

Well obviously Hirad. But I also thought it was sad about Sirendor Larn as he had lots of potential.

Styliann's exit was quite classy Razz

Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I liked Sirendor. Though for me it was Ilkar who's presence I missed the most. A lot of the humour disappeared when we snuffed it, as you'd expect.
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy at the end of the Ascendants since my favourite character was still alive. Question is should I start talking about my favourite character in The Raven, again? Twisted Evil
Lizzy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you mean like how his head bounced? Twisted Evil

Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, good old Selik. Methinks the 'Selik Appreciation Society' could do with restarting! Razz
jolinare

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, i should start reading the ascendants book!

Why haven't i! Why! I know the minute i pick it up I'm going to squeal, drop it on my foot, break my foot, and proclaim "oh James, I've missed you!". There really is no excuse for my literary laziness because i'm managing Kate Mosse's Labyrinth just fine (albeit it doesn't have a humungous cast and the political complexity of james' books)!

I'm still not over what happened to Hirad . At least it happened at the end so there are no books to miss him in. Sniff. I need counselling.

At the beginning of Dawnthief i was very pleased to see the heads of main characters rolling because that seldom happens, and I did not expect Erienne's hubby and kids to die so the surprise was welcome, but after six books of raven it started getting a tad traumatic to have my favourite characters cut down by our beloved and oh so ruthless author.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> The Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: