James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Habbit of Killing Off The Best Characters SPOILERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzy wrote:
What you mean like how his head bounced? Twisted Evil

Yes, dammit!! Many people's heads mightn't have rolled so spectacularly and I should add that the 'Appreciation Society' has not at any point been terminated. It's other two members merely left the forum Rolling Eyes
Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a recruitment drive??
Silent Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly didn't Sirrendor Larn die surrounded by many beautiful women? Not such a bad death that.

Ilkar... Well, you can only begin to imagine the rant I had at my uncle (James) for that. Ilkar was loved by all, mainly because of the humorous relation he Ilkar had with Hirad.

Selik, well.. Cocky characters always die. Not my most favourite character but a fairly good man at being evil. Hirad was cocky, but it was good cocky, still, even he died eventually... That got me ranting again ^_^;;
Max Power

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTS OF SPOILERS

I agree with Lizzy and Drizzt about Sirendor - I got the feeling I was going to like him. Ilkar is an obvious, but good choice, but the one that got me the most was Darrick. You kinda guessed Ilkar might be in danger in Elfsorrow, but I thought Darrick was going to last to the end.

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the Ascendants books, I think two books gave you less chance to be *quite* as attached to characters as in the Raven series, but the attrition rate was so high that I tried not to be too attached to characters in the first place!!! Glad Iliev survived though.

BTW, welcome to the forum, SD.
Silent Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*salutes* Thank ye ^_^;;
Will

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i wished darrick made it, he was the reliable one for gods sake! After rereading the Raven (again) I still think Selik was by far the best villain, discounting denser at beginning of course as he went all bloody repentant. Long live the rolling head!
CrazySlyHawk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet Denser survived...

Dammit!

Def. thought Erienne, Darrick and Hirads death a surprise.
Thraun and Ilkar, i had an inkling...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Selik

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there doesn't seem to be a general question thread...that or I need new glasses already and I only just got the ones i'm wearing.
Anyway, this is vaguely to do with my favourite character, who happened to get killed off so i'll stick the qustion here and it can be moved as is appropriate, if needs be.

You've mentioned, James that Hirad etc were characters within an RPG prior to becoming who and what they are now. Were any of the other characters similar to this, or was it just members of the Raven themselves?

Also, when thinking of the Blackwings the other day (as I am once again want to do Twisted Evil ) I wondered just where do they get their tattoos done? Is there some form of resident Blackwing tattooist, or does Selik just carve it into them...? He did seem pretty handy with fine detail on that mage.
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Selik,

There were plenty of others involved in the RPG along with The Raven although they were all NPCs of course ('non-player characters' for those not in the know...).

We had Selik, Isman and Travers in the good ol' Black Wings and we also had the character who became Styliann (can't remember his name in the game, sorry). There were others too.

As for the tattoos, well I have to confess I haven't gone into quite that level of detail in background. But the original winged rose tattoos whould have been done by a professional artist. My feeling is that converting those to the black wing is probably a diy job, probably painful and probably leading to many a neck infection. What they really needed was one of those pentel pen indelible markers, if you ask me.
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, how close would you say the below image is to how you envisaged said tattoo?
(Incidently it wasn't me who drew this, my artistic skills are sadly lacking. It was Hirad's number one fan who drew it for me Razz )

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4545/blackwingtatto3er2.jpg
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's pretty much as I envisaged it. Tis a fine image indeed. Must revamp the site and get such things live...
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can think of several other things i'd want live..........
Selik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Yep, that's pretty much as I envisaged it. Tis a fine image indeed.

Excellent! Now if I do ever reconsider getting that tattoo I once mentioned... Razz
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these days, Manty old boy, one of these days...
Styllian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Very Happy

Well I'm new here (as you can probably guess) and after reading the topic it strikes me that no-one's mentioned Styliann's untimely death at the hands of Sha Kaan Sad Am I the only one here who appreciates old crispy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> The Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: