James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Reading...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manty have you read Terry Brooks' new one, 'Armageddon's Children'? If you enjoyed the Word/Void books you'll like this.
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... confession. I've never read a Drizzt book. Shameful yes, etc etc. So, I promise to rectify that. I guess the place to start is at the start unless you know different. Give me a title...
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chronological order begins with "Homeland"

written order is "The crystal shard"

i personally read Chronological order.

Yay go James!!

Drizzle no i haven't, yet, but i read a review of it saw the tie in with the Shannara books and thought wow!!

Last edited by Mantyluoto on Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I'd recommend you start with 'The Icewind Dale' trilogy. Chronologically this isn't the first but it is the first one which was published. If you like those books and want to read more about Drizzt past (his upbringing, training and generally what brought him to where he is at the start of the Icewind Dale) then you can go back and read 'The Dark Elf Trilogy'.

Methinks you'll like them, good old fashioned action fantasy with strong characters. And Salvatore's combat sequences are fantastic.

EDIT - Manty - have you read the Shannara books and the Word/Void books? If you have, you'll notice certain references to elements from both series though you don't have to have read either to enjoy the book. But if you have read them, you can read certain bits and think Ah! I see where you're going with this!. Then of course he plays on that and surprises you a little...
Parmenion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i undertsand it armagedons children is the series that links all his books together!

as to the drizzet books, have to say i have never read them!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the first book in a series that will tie the two series together. Could be as many as 9 books long as there's a few thousand years to cover, but the idea is to bridge the gap between John Ross' adventures in the Word/Void books right up to the formation of the first Druid council under Galaphile.

Get them read sir!
Tyrael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know why but ive never read any of the D&D books. I loved the baldurs gate and icewind dale pc games but the tabletop game has never really inspired me and i tend to think of the books as just spin offs.

If i read them id probably find i was massively wrong about them.

On another note my partner has actually got me to start reading the garth nix trilogy sabriel, lirael and abhorsen. I wasnt sure about them as theyre pitched as another 'young adult' fantasy but they do deal with some pretty adult themes. Ive just finished Sabriel and its really quite good. If your not put off by the young adult tag its a good little read Smile
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll enjoy them if you read them.

Ah, you get to meet the Disreputible Dog in Lirael - cool character. Razz
DeathJunior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to book two but have yet to read it.

www.myspace.com/djjaines
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DJJaines
Dan Jaines a walking dictionary of Danisms
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lizzy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrael, they are a great trilogy. The Disreputable Dog is ace. I never get put off by the category young adult. Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy is young adult and they are some of my favourite books of all time.

I don't take much notice of categories, I dislike labels as a rule. The whole genre labelling of books does it no favours imo. But that's a whole other discussion......

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial

Last edited by Lizzy on Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have to read the last one, 'Abhorsen'. Another one on the list.
Grace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Very glad you've enjoyed Dave Gemmell, Grace. Read more... more I tell you. The first Drenai books, Legend.Waylander, King Beyond the Gate... all excellent. Jon Shannow... awesome IMO. And then there's Troy. Oh yes.

I went hunting them in our school library today and made a horrifying discovery: There is not one single David Gemmell book in our library!!! Shocked It's full of things like War and Peace and the Pickwick Papers. They evidently have no taste in literature. Razz

I'm reading Frankenstein for my english lit classes, its actually very good, though bedtime reading is not recommended.
Also, Chocolat is an excellent read of a totally different genre (and a good film too).
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote:
I still have to read the last one, 'Abhorsen'. Another one on the list.

Truth to tell, it was the weakest of the three but don't let that put you off Laughing , taken as a whole it's a great story and I agree whole heartedly with Lizzy ignore labels, if you like the look and sound of it then read it!
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
OK... confession. I've never read a Drizzt book. Shameful yes, etc etc. So, I promise to rectify that. I guess the place to start is at the start unless you know different. Give me a title...

I've read the first chapter of one. Rolling Eyes I will get around to reading it and sending it back to its owner though....I hope.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I went hunting them in our school library today and made a horrifying discovery: There is not one single David Gemmell book in our library!!! It's full of things like War and Peace and the Pickwick Papers. They evidently have no taste in literature.

you know you can do the library online and have any book transfered to your local library!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: