James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

European success
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are Newcastle the greatest force in world football? , destined to dominate the world game and go down in history ?
Yes?
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
No ?
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 11

Selik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Will. What was that? I mean, Newcastle didn't just win 4-2, did they? Twisted Evil
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against 2nd in the Dutch leadue, no less. A good win.
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected no less Wink
Parmenion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the dutch league is only like the chamionship...its not like its a proper league
Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell that to Arenal... Wink
Parmenion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup...just shows even a minnow can bite! Laughing mind you im not saying that near her right now
Will

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so that means they're better than arsenal? oh well... nah, i actually quite like watching them play to be honest, apart from being rubish they do have a few good players (milner,martins, duff,etc.), and the worst defnce i have ever seen, always interesting/comical.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be fair rather than just prod a geordie fan for the fun of it, i will say that Newcastle does have some good players, Given is a fantastic keeper for example, i dont think you have any real world class players apart from him, but the players are starting to knit as a team, and that can be way more dangerous than a couple of prima donnas
Futre4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, and joking aside , we are starting to gel , indeed players who were once misfits have found their niche as it were, look at Sibierski he is playing awsome , as for world class , Given yes is world class, Martins is approaching that standard, and Parker is an inspirational midfielder. Yes the defence is shocking at times but the injury problems we have incurred has helped to nurture ( or force Smile ) some handy youth players into the first team.
I dont think we are as good as arsenal but even if we won the uefa cup I still wouldnt claim that we are the best in the country , indeed it simply proves we were consistent over 10 games in europe. If you think about it rarely does a football fan concede the cup winners to be the best team in europe, when greece won the european championships were they the best team in europe?, similarly when Porto won the champions league. But it is good to add a trophy to the cabinet at least to quash the jeering away fans when they mock us for not having won anything since the year before Moses read out the 10 commandements.

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately agree with Parm's comment on our lacking in world-class players, bar Given.
Absolutely brilliant player. I love watching him play.

Newcastle have gone from excellent, to bad, to worse, to bad, to lousy, but I think Futre4 is right in saying we're starting to 'gel' a little. We've kept it on a sort of average recently *touches wood*. There've been none of the old multiple successive losses and unfortunately not too many successive wins.

However, i'd rather we were playing as we are now than go back to how we were with Ruud Gullit and Kenny Dalgleish. Aiiieeee, bad, bad times. Mad
Futre4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about it next year Selik , I guarantee they will buy one more player (A decent defender would be ideal - Ferdinand has been mentioned) . But even when fit Im not being unrealistic in expecting a top 6 finish , I hope. Steven Taylor will not go to Chelsea also Evil or Very Mad .

When fit next year this is it :

gk- Given
dr - Carr
dl - Babayaro
dc - Taylor
dc - New Defender

ml - Emre - When hes fit and ready he can be great
mr - Sibierski (well he will float )
mc - Parker (c)
mc - Dyer

fc - Owen
fc- Martins

Bench - Milner, Solano , luque . Edgar, Huntingdon.

Although this team may leave us weak in midfield , ideally we need an out and out ball winner who can guard the back four , ideally Id like claude makalale on a free, Gennaro Gattuso ?, if not that somehow clone Paul Ince or Roy Keane in their prime - Is that so much to ask ??

Sell - Ameobi , Butt, Bramble

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bummer about Shola Ameobi. When he first started at Newcastle, it looked like he'd be an incredible asset to the team, but he's gone downhill so far now, I don't really see much of an improvement.
It's similar with Titus Bramble, although I think of the two, Ameobi was the more promising.
He just hasn't really furthered himself when he plays. He gets a chance and it's like he's running in sludge.
Futre4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed I forgot duff , he will be great next year. I think promising is the right word, Emile Heskey got to about 25-26 with the label " promising" and "potential " and then one day people must have (eventually) realised , hey hang on a minute hes nearer 30 than 20 and he isnt great at all !!, Ameobi and Bramble strike me in the same way they can both look great on their day(ameobi was often outstaning in europe) but alas their day isnt often enough , for a Prem striker to hit a goal every 4 games just isnt enough ( hed be great in the championship) and for a defender to have a calamatous game every few games creates more problems than it solves , age was often the reasononing as to why he made errors, but he isnt 18 anymore. Nicky Butt simply has never recovered from being dumped by Man utd, he has big club fever, Like andy Cole and dwight Yorke he cant quite believe he isnt at Man utd anymore, he should take a leaf from Phil Nevilles book and get on with it.

Oh and I meant Anton ferdinand before people begin to laugh about my earlier transfer talk Smile . Personally Id like to see Newcastle take the big club approach and buy in a 3rd striker that offers something different , David Nugent would be a good buy , meaning we could rotate the strike force and not rely on Owen who may be shaky for a while, and Martins, especially when the club ideally wants to be playing in 50-60 games a season. Combine him with Milner/Sibierski and N'zogiba and we have a good range of forwards and wingers , helping Roeder not just choose the fit players hence the formation is pre-determined , but allowing him to play 4-4-2 or even a chelsea style wingers approach , yes the future is rosy Smile . Then again its been rosy before and gone flat within the first 5 games.

Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugent? He's good, but untried at the top level and would cost a bomb. Newcastle can't afford to be taking risks like that and could do with another striker who's going to get goals for them in the same vain as Martins has started to do in recent months, if not moreso.

But, before any of that happens, a central defender or two need buying. Proper ones. If Woodgate could have kept himself free of injury, he'd have been a brilliant player before you sold him.
Futre4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'd get him for 5-6m which sounds alot but not in todays market. He would offers something different to the two strikers we have and thats what we need another option , If we look abroad similarly you are looking at 10m for a rated striker , unless Roeder is shrewd in the market and finds talent from somewhere but then your run the risk of them being useless. If Newcastle brought in a very high class and highly rated player he would be too pricey and he wouldnt be happy, simple as that , If big name goes to barca or man utd they would reluctantly be third choice but at Newcastle they wouldn't. Thats why I think a moderately rated player is a good choice, I think he can improve also. Id like to have seen Luque step up and challenge for a position up front but i think he just wants to go . We do have a young lad called Andy Carroll who is meant to be good, but he very young.
Right about the centre halfs tho , Woodgate would or could have been good , but the deal looked a good one for the year he was injured, to be honest even if he was available now id question whether to buy him , hes as likely to tear his knee as he is play a full month for us. Ferdinand is one possible option , Im not saying he is the right one , but there arent that many names that leap to mind, we have been linked with Sami kuffour amongst others as well as Zat knight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Sport All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: