James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 300

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: The 300 Reply with quote

Hooray! Just collected my copy of this from the local Royal Mail centre. Looking forward to reading this..!!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now read this beast.

It's pretty good and you can tell why the chaos who are making it want to turn it into a film. And if they stick to the tone of the graphic novel it'll be wall to wall action.

The artwork in this is superb as well.
DarrenT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a classic of the oeuvre, and no mistake. Frank Miller is one of the best in the business. The movie is coming along nicely as well, trailers can be found at www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300 if you've got the bandwidth. Well worth a look.
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read it now too, though only very quickly, but that was enough to see how awesome it really is.
If the film is that good I can't wait!!
DarrenT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Teague of Pendragon Press thinks it's over-stylized, with far too much CGI. But then when you're producing an adaptation of a highly-stylised graphic novel and want to make it reasonably true to the original, then it's probably not a good idea to make it look like Spartacus...
Tk421

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it made my jaw drop repeatedly so I'm not bothered if a critic doesnt like it lol
DarrenT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no, Chris isn't a critic, he's a small press publisher, so he's one of the good guys.

And he does rather have a point about the way film-makers chuck CGI around like it's confetti these days, but I think in the case of 300 it's pretty essential to the whole ethos of the film.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it needs to be if they want to get the feel of the graphic novel. For anyone who's seen 'Sin City', it's the same guy who wrote those novels who wrote 'The 300' and they're using the same green-screen techniques in the movie as they did for 'Sin City'. Not for everyone - Sin City was one of those movies people either loved or loathed.

If anyone wants a sand & sandals epic version, check 'The 300 Spartans' from back in the 50s/60s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: