James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should Beckham be brought back into the England side?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Beckham - yay or nay?
Yip
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Nope
64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 14

Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Should Beckham be brought back into the England side? Reply with quote

Should he be brought back into the setup?
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i think he could do a job as a super sub, even his manager says that now his head and play is back to his best.

When he is on the pitch he adds a level of impetus that we lack right now, and its heart, he has ther biggest heart in the game
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the General. As a sub he could still do a fine job.
Max Power

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs to be playing regularly for Madrid I think before he is recalled, but McClaren won't do that, or it will bring back the Lampard/Gerrard debate as Becks has to play on the wing when he comes on. I do think, though, that Gerrard should play in the middle, and that leaves a spot for Beckham and Lennon to compete for.

He's still the best crosser of the ball England have, so why not?
Grace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he couldn't really cause them to play much worse, so why not?
Parmenion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think in certain games you could play 3 at the back for england with becks playing behind lennon on the right, or even if we are playing weaker teams you could have becks at right back instean of neville, you get the benefit of lennons speed and becks crossing
DarrenT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmenion wrote:
When he is on the pitch he adds a level of impetus that we lack right now, and its heart, he has ther biggest heart in the game

Sorry mate, but I have to disagree with you there. I was at the England vs Greece match when we scraped a 2-2 draw to qualify for France 2002, and that day it really was Beckham vs Greece, but he hasn't shown the same level of commitment since.

Basically, his legs have pretty much gone, and we need players who can get in amongst the opposition defence and cause them problems - like Lennon or Wright-Phillips. Besaides, we've got Gerrard to put long balls and crosses in from the right, and Downing from the left, if they ever play him again...
Parmenion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e might have gerrard but no on can put a 60 yard plus ball on a spot the size of a 10p . the rest dont have the skill, im not saying his legs are the same but there are time when i think he still could provide some thing to the team
DarrenT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but that's the thing, in the last few matches he played he was only doing that once or twice a game, and from about fifteen attempts. His free kicks were useless and his corners not much better.

Not saying he wasn't a truly great and inspirational player in his day, but I'll take some convincing that he's still up to the same standard, is all.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out some of his real games, he is playing quite well, when capello lets him!!
Futre4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's better than downing and wright phillips at least currently. He is also a massive imfluence AND even if he plays for 10 minutes a match what is there to lose.
Beckham has always given 100% EVEN if he doesnt always perform , which is more than can be said for many of the squad. I understand what Mclaren is trying to do (out with the old, in the with the new) , but a blend of age and experience, never mind a cool head to help the young kids settle and gain experience can only improve the team morale/performances and attitude. Beckhams lack of pace is actually a bonus in his ageing , a player that never had pace doesnt rely on it, he can play all across midfield and the right side also, why not have a player like this in the squad, quite frankly its ludicrous not too!.

Im not gay but he's a handsome devil too Wink

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Parmenion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here here well said that man!!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, let's have him dazzle the opposition with his smile. Razz

Nah, he's past it. We've played with him for years on the right without a great deal of success and as he's lost more and more pace he's become less and less effective apart from set-pieces which frankly we have plenty of people to do now anyway.

Besides, even though he does give 100%, when he does he's only 75% of the player Gerrard is.
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think despite being a former great player Beckham is past it now to compete at an international level. and i believe, that whilst he is a patriot, he would only be interested in reaching his 100 caps.
DarrenT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Beckham has always given 100% EVEN if he doesnt always perform

But that's the problem - in his last few England matches he quite clearly didn't give anywhere near 100%...

I'll tell you what really wound me up - during the World Cup, there was a big feature in one of the Sunday papers on how England's group stage hadn't gone so well and it was looking dodgy for the knock-outs, and then on the very next page, a big Beckham advert for sunglasses, or hair product or whatever the hell.

Maybe if he'd spent less time in the bloody photographer's studio and more time on the training ground in the past few years he'd still be half the player he used to be...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Sport All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: