James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another viral marketing idea
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I think Ariel's post gave constructive critiscism.

Parm you weren't trying to sell us the book, but the idea of the You Tube promo was and frankly we all agreed it didn't for the reasons we gave, which were constructive criticism..ie his voice is too bland, the graphics dull, what he was saying sounded patronising.

If he wants to improve it get someone decent to read an extract. If he wants to know more about his target audience then he should do the research.

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
DarrenT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll second what they all said... Smile

And hey, trust me, if you're writing a young adult novel set in the far future, on another planet, about a genetic mutant who might just hold the key to saving the galaxy... then you most definitely, absolutely are writing in a niche genre - it's called 'Young Adult Science Fiction' and there is a very specific audience for this sort of work.

Now, lucklily, that audience is probably a lot larger, and actually more broad-minded, than a lot of other niches that an author could choose to work in. Which is why really going for it and embracing that niche is a much better idea than patronising the hell out of them by trying to make it sound like your book is actually way cooler than everything else that these kids have read and enjoyed, oh, except for this really successful stuff that you're bound to have heard of...

You want to appeal to that particular niche? You have to speak their language. He's a wargamer / geek at heart? Then tell him to unleash the inner geek. Think back to what teenage boys are interested in and then damn well give it to them... rock music! Explosions! Star Fighters! Naked Chicks! All that cheesy but fun stuff that all us older, more <ahem> mature males wish we could get away with reading about on a daily basis...

Okay, I'm over-egging, but seriously - classical music and a public-school voice-over are not the way forward.

And you want a tag-line? Here's a tag-line:

"She's just a kid. She's got something the rest of the galaxy wants. It's in her blood. They'll stop at nothing to get it. If she can't run far enough, or fast enough... she's fucked."

If he likes it, he can keep it. I'll put an invoice in the post... Wink
Parmenion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See now no offence (and really i never mean any) but that is constructive feedback, reasoned with potential point for improvement.

Where as just calling it drivel etc...and i dont like it...wasn't. Dont get me wrong its good to gage opinion etc..

Ariel: appreciate the feedback, im going to give the author a link to this thread...so he may come back and speak to you all....ask for more opinions etc..
DarrenT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I actually had a decent amount of caffeine in my system second time around, which probably helped with my general outlook on life. But I still stand by rules #1 to #3 in that first response.

A lot of publishers get into a lot of trouble by disrespecting the established audience for a given title and assuming that if they can only make it look or sound more mainstream, then suddenly they will sell thousands more copies to folks who can't see through the marketing flannel. Wrong. Consumers - especially ones that read for crying out loud - may be easily persuaded sometimes, but they're not inherently dumb.

It's a bit like of putting a spoiler on a Fiat Panda. Trying to make it look like a sports car doesn't make it a sports car and it won't sell to people who want to buya sports car. Whereas if you actually spent your time and money talking to people who just want a small, cheap car to run around town in, then you'd sell a lot more.

Anyway, I'm happy to help the guy out with a bit of creative input if he wants it... at my usual hourly rate. PM me if you're genuinely interested...

And apologies to anyone mildly offended (or titillated, I know what you lot are like) by my use of the vulgar vernacular in my previous post. I spelt the f-word correctly in order to make a point and add emphasis to the paragraph... I haven't developed forum-tourettes or anything.

And no, that doesn't mean that you lot can get away with it from now on, either...
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just hoping Lizzy was going to spank you!
DarrenT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She tried. I had my steel underpants on... Twisted Evil
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RATFLMAO!!!!!
Lizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke a nail..... Shocked

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: