James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beckham's ?128m deal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Beckham's ?128m deal Reply with quote

?128m over five years to play for LA Galaxy. That's something like ?70,000 a day. The world's gone mad. Utterly mad.

As a business move, well, does it even make sense? I know his name and face sells but can that alone make this LA Galaxy side a half-billion dollars in five years? That's what they'd need to get a worthy return...

As for the money involved, take your pick from: obscene, ghastly, immoral... add your own as we go.
Selik

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if I were to do that, it'd have to be sensored. ?128m. I don't think even the bloody Queen has seen that much money!

Obscene and immoral? I couldn't agree more. Mad
Max Power

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst it is ridiculous money (about ?3k per hour I think!), someone has deemed Beckham worth that for the next five years, and to be honest I'd accept it if that was waved near me. It's not his fault that people are willing to heap that much on him raising the face of 'soccer' in the States. Good on him if he can pocket that.

What do you think the odds are that their next child will be called Rodeo (as in Rodeo Drive)?!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I don't blame Beckham, I'd accept the money as well. Be dumb not to - just imagine what could be done with it.

Better 'Rodeo' than 'Disneywold'.
Selik

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could always call him Walt or Angeles.

But no, I don't blame Beckham, I just think it's insane that that kind of money can be earned with all the other things that could be done with it.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all about promoting the sport, the owners of LA galaxy AEG (i think) own 5 us clubs, they need and want to promote the sport and becks is the biggest name in the game and still sells more shirts than any player world wide.
He will help the US league more sexy, make more kids want to play the sport.

the becks brand both of them fit the LA scene so this will go down great in the US and push the sport even more.

thats why they spent so much
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find it hard to believe they'll get a decent return on the investment.
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can guarentee the odd win, though Wink
Futre4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I love this forum, great discussions even if most of them are about Beckham Wink

I cant help wondering how instrumental Posh Spice was in the move to America??, if it WAS just about football and Becks was single then i cant help thinking hed have gone to Italy for a season or two, I think Posh has pushed him in this superstar direction I doubt he'd be in the bright lights as much if it wasnt for her , it seems conveniently close to hollywood, and given her failings in the past pushing Becks over there and clinging to him (literally , have youseen her on grand openings etc he cant move a muscle) is the best way she can get into hollywood.

He uses the excuse that he believes in this project and he is there for the sake of the u.s soccer league , no body asked him to be the saviour of american soccer ???, its not like hes curing cancer?.

But I love beckham , not too sound gay but i think hes great (as i have voiced before ) , however it does answer one previously asked topic , should Becks be in the england squad??, whether he should or not he has cemented the door shut by moving to America , there is no way he can get called up playing at a level comparable to the second divison (or the scottish league - kidding ) .

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futre4 wrote:
I cant help wondering how instrumental Posh Spice was in the move to America??

I think ?128m over five years was instrumental. He was on good money anyway but that would sway ANYONE methinks.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think posh has always been a driver in his career, but it has worked ahsnt it, he is the best known and best paid player in the world.

He has alot of commitments in the states as it is, with his football acadamies etc.
With the friend ships with the likes of Tom cruise etc..i think he will fit in, ...but how long before he joins a cult over there is anyones guess!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine Posh will do quite well out there...
Max Power

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmenion wrote:
i think posh has always been a driver in his career, but it has worked ahsnt it, he is the best known and best paid player in the world.

He has alot of commitments in the states as it is, with his football acadamies etc.
With the friend ships with the likes of Tom cruise etc..i think he will fit in, ...but how long before he joins a cult over there is anyones guess!

Do you know what Scientologists believe?

75 million years ago, Xenu (some alien dude) brought billions of people to Earth in spacecraft resembling Douglas DC-8 airliners, stacked them around volcanoes and blew them up with hydrogen bombs. Their souls then clustered together and stuck to the bodies of the living. The alien souls continue to do this today, causing a variety of physical ill-effects in modern-day humans. (See Wikipedia for more info).

Poor Becks, he doesn't stand a chance if they get their hands on him!!!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked into it properly but I've heard abou that side of it, and the wedding vows... but, there must be ideas or ways of thinking, aside from all the silliness, which makes people think it's worthwhile... can't imagine what, but someone obviously does!
Parmenion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so next time you see tom cruise in a film...the reason he can do all those amazing stunts is that really he is an alien...with powers... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Sport All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: