James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Children of Hurin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Children of Hurin Reply with quote

Anyone else interested in getting this? For those who don't know it's works written by Tolkien that was left unfinished due to his death, which has been put together by his son, Christopher and is due to be published in 26 days.

Brief synopsis from Waterstones:

Synopsis
Painstakingly restored from Tolkien's manuscripts and presented for the first time as a fully continuous and standalone story, the epic tale of The Children of Hurin will reunite fans of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with Elves and Men, dragons and Dwarves, eagles and Orcs, and the rich landscape and characters unique to Tolkien. There are tales of Middle-earth from times long before The Lord of the Rings, and the story told in this book is set in the great country that lay beyond the Grey Havens in the West: lands where Treebeard once walked, but which were drowned in the great cataclysm that ended the First Age of the World. In that remote time Morgoth, the first Dark Lord, dwelt in the vast fortress of Angband, the Hells of Iron, in the North; and the tragedy of Turin and his sister Nienor unfolded within the shadow of the fear of Angband and the war waged by Morgoth against the lands and secret cities of the Elves. Their brief and passionate lives were dominated by the elemental hatred that Morgoth bore them as the children of Hurin, the man who had dared to defy and to scorn him to his face. Against them he sent his most formidable servant, Glaurung, a powerful spirit in the form of a huge wingless dragon of fire. Into this story of brutal conquest and flight, of forest hiding-places and pursuit, of resistance with lessening hope, the Dark Lord and the Dragon enter in direly articulate form. Sardonic and mocking, Glaurung manipulated the fates of Turin and Nienor by lies of diabolic cunning and guile, and the curse of Morgoth was fulfilled. The earliest versions of this story by J.R.R. Tolkien go back to the end of the First World War and the years that followed; but long afterwards, when The Lord of the Rings was finished, he wrote it anew and greatly enlarged it in complexities of motive and character: it became the dominant story in his later work on Middle-earth. But he could not bring it to a final and finished form. In this book Christopher Tolkien has constructed, after long study of the manuscripts, a coherent narrative without any editorial invention.

Thought people may be interested.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*marks a big 'x' on the calendar*
dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting
*Is understating*
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, don't worry. Doesn't look like there's many people that interested anyway. Rolling Eyes
Lizzy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested...*waves*

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, I wondered if that would get a response. It did. All 1 of them Razz
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm totally not interested in this.

Tolkien may be a genius but his work is soooooooooooooooooo boring.

loved the films though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'nother one over 'ere Laughing I'm interested! Very Happy
sir robin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have to agree with Manty on this when not in book form, tolkien is good. I remember hearing the hobbit on the radio when i was younger and it was soooooooooo good, just found LoTR's such a struggle to read
Parmenion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should get my advance coy of this very very soon, will let you know what i think when it gets here
jolinare

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cover artwork is absolutely beautiful. i'd buy it just for that, but i don't see myself reading it any time soon. i need to read FOTR again to see if i still find tolkien's style tedious. I am not worthy of his literature! lol
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolinare wrote:
the cover artwork is absolutely beautiful. i'd buy it just for that, but i don't see myself reading it any time soon. i need to read FOTR again to see if i still find tolkien's style tedious. I am not worthy of his literature! lol

....and there are some very nice colour plates inside as well! I'm afraid if you don't like his style you won't like this one either and by the time you've got through Christopher Tolkien explaining how he came to pull the story together you find that there isn't that much of a story anyway! Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: