James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

www.barclaytalkssport.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soccer (thats right, not football Razz), for me, whilst being an enjoyable sport to play, is as painful to watch as yet another speech about colonialism and conquest, thinly veiled as a war on terrorism. Being on the field allows you to enjoy some action, watching it, there sadly is none. It is a slow-paced, witless game and watching it is about as enjoyable as removing your brain from your own skull through the eye socket, with the eye still in place.

(I say this, taking safety in the knowledge I'm halfway across the world from you fanatical loons Razz)

(Also, I don't really find it as boring as I may have implied, I just want to see some kind of outburst, especially from Parmenion...just like the old days Razz)
Parmenion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok old skool style burst just for you....

WHAT THE HELLLLLL!!

are you mad blind or just an insane foriegn nutter with no concept of what is actually fun, has all that open space and fresh air finally addled your brains!!

Did you not see the Man u arsenal match last night? how any one could call that game boring is beyond me, the feats of physical endurance and skill shown by these players is seldom matched in any other sport on the planet, and for enjoyment its not matched anywhere.
Thats why it is the greatest , most supported and watched game on the planet....

No go back to your insane out door southern hemisphere sports like extreme tiddlywinks or something!!

(will that do??) Very Happy
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring that stuff to the blog, DK... be brave.

Think you might be watching geriatric football, though. Or crown green bowling. Slow-paced? Not really. Plenty of games are crap but then that is the same in every single sport. But English football is never, ever slow.
dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Ahh, good times Very Happy)

And as it happens, I didn't see that match last night, I didn't need to sleep THAT badly.

As for not slow-paced, as far as I'm concerned, it is. When you're playing, it's about 3 minutes of boredom to 1 minute of action, when you're watching, it's 80 minutes of dull. The only team sports I can think of with less action are baseball and grid iron (american football) and the latter can be interesting to watch with the huge tackles and impossible catches.

And don't make me laugh, physical endurance? Players who spend a majority of the time on the field, jogging around like a overweight, middle-aged woman trying to lose a few kilos after christmas? Players who fall over in "agony" as soon as someone comes within a 1 metre radius of them? Real physical endurance is basketball, where you have to sprint around a court the entire time you're on there. If you don't, you'll be left on your own when the action is on the other side.

As for skill, no other sport can match the soccer-playing skills of soccer. As far as skills though, soccer skills pale in comparison to the skills required to play most other sports I can think of and probably many I can't. Soccer skills that are truly impressive are a rarity, as rare as a whale completing a sub-four mile...on land.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dk, but that's nonsense. I can't begin to tell you how silly that post read! Razz

Yes, football has its problems as do most others sports. However, no other sport can draw you in like it - ever been to a local derby match? Sampled the atmosphere when a match is on a knife-edge like Arsenal VS Man Utd this weekend?

Not all matches are exciting, but there is still plenty to appreciate for the viewer... but you have to be a fan to appreciate it. If you're not, don't watch. Razz
Parmenion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DK what are we going to do with you.....(burn you or stone you probably)

Quote:
When you're playing, it's about 3 minutes of boredom to 1 minute of action, when you're watching, it's 80 minutes of dull.

seriously..i know you like being the cause of trouble...but this is just a silly comment.

the level i play at is not even close to prem football and i never ever get 5 seconds to stand still and be bored let alone mins. and as for watching...well i dont know what your watching even when my team plays badly...well i can abuse the team, the fans, the oposition, the subs warming up....never been bored ever!!
dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always cracked me up, you guys remind me of religious fanatics.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where you remind us of a cave bound hermit with no real view of modern society! Laughing
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak for yourself Parmenion
Parmenion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dont blame me he asked for old skool ranting and abuse...so i obliged
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's keep it friendly (yes, I know it IS friendly right now but still...). After all, at least DK isn't a Norwich City fan.

Isn't basketball one of those games where they have a break every quarter and where you can be subbed on and off as many times as you like? Could be wrong so correct if I am. And there are certainly time-outs and multople, multiple stoppages. So let's not go there.

Basketball players are seriously fit, I have no issue with that. Football players, likewise. And because a guy falls down when he's tackled it has nowt to do with fitness. That's about gamesmanship and I don't condone it either. Now if you really want a relentless sport, I'll buy Rugby Union.

Note: the quicker strikers would make most national sprint squads. They make such runs with and without a ball up to thirty times a match. And the rest of the time they are tracking back, marking, tackling. DK, you are on to a loser here. No skill? Pah.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone was keeing it polite and friendly until you said

Quote:
After all, at least DK isn't a Norwich City fan

now thats just rude.. Very Happy

the only thing worse would be to call him a swindon fan (pauses to spit on floor)

James didnt they check the strikers with prozone and conclude that people like Henry , walcott etc would all have at least made the semi finals of the last olympics (it was on a goals on sunday i think, that or soccer AM)
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's on grass. In football boots. Wink
dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, nothing like stirring it up Very Happy I think my job here is done

(thinks of another controversial topic Razz)
Ry_Darrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to keep the discussion going, I will never understand why people can watch a game of american football and find it more enjoyable than a decent game of proper football. Any sport in which there is a player in every team whos sole job is to run onto the pitch and kick a ball is seriously misguided. Also the endless beaks they have, the vast padding, and the sheer number of players remove a lot of the physical aspects out of the game.

At least in football (and you may think that players are not physically fit) the fitness of the players counts for A LOT, and therefore players improve their fitness so they are able to run miles and miles each game. To say they are not fit and simply jog around is a bit insulting when if they were asked to just "run" they could go for a lot longer than most other athletes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Sport All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: