James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Reading <cont 5>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading an ARC of Harry Connolly's 'Child of Fire'. It's an Urban Fantasy much like any other but the 'Lovecraftian' slant makes it stand out from the pack. The relentless pace (a little too relentless sometimes) had me hooked and the fact that Connolly has no issues balancing the plot on things like a stray bullet gave things a real bite. My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off 'Wolfbreed' and I'm well into Mike Carey's 'The Naming of the Beasts' (which is awesome)...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Warren Fahy's 'Fragment', a tale of mankind's first contact with a deadly ecosystem on an island that has been cut off from the rest of the world since pre-historic times... I loved the concept but the book was padded to the extent that it really slowed things down when they could have done with being let off the leash. My full review is over Here. I've got no idea what I'm reading next but I'm looking forward to doing lots of reading over the long weekend!

Lizzy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan. A prequel to the Black Magician trilogy. Enjoyable, but lacked the depth of the original trilogy and was predictable. It has made me want to re read that first trilogy though.

Deornoth have you read Age of Misrule yet? (I'll survive if you say you don't like it, I think it's a marmite series)

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet... Embarassed

I have a 'Chunky Books that I really need to read soon' pile and AoM isn't quite at the top. Soon though! Very Happy

Finished reading 'The Best of Michael Moorcock'. Here's a book that is best dipped into (rather than read all at once) and is full of goodness. I don't know if it's his 'best' work but it's well worth a look. My full review is over Here. I can't even remember what I was originally going to read next as I bought myself a copy of 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' over the weekend and it jumped straight to the top of the pile!

Futre4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flesh and blood, by Jonathon Kellerman.

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading 'Blood of the Mantis', the third book in the 'Shadows of the Apt' series. I wasn't too keen on the last book but this turned out to be a real return to form as far as I was concerned and I'm now really looking forward to the release of 'Salute the Dark'. My full review is over Here. I'm now well into 'Mythago Wood' (which is excellent) and I'm finishing off a couple of other books as well.

Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Al Ewing's 'Death Got No Mercy', latest in the post-apocalyptic 'Afterblight' chronicles. Ewing really gets the post apocalyptic vibe and lays it on the line, in no uncertain terms, in a series of brutal and visceral encounters. It's a bit of a shame then that he decides to go all existential halfway through... My full review is over Here. I'm almost done with 'Mythago Wood' (it's a book that I don't want to end...) and, as always, I've got a few others on the go as well.

Max Power

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzy wrote:
Just read The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan. A prequel to the Black Magician trilogy. Enjoyable, but lacked the depth of the original trilogy and was predictable. It has made me want to re read that first trilogy though.

Deornoth have you read Age of Misrule yet? (I'll survive if you say you don't like it, I think it's a marmite series)

I'm reading her other trilogy, Age of the Five, and it doesn't have the same zing that Black Magician has. Am tempted by Magician's Apprentice, but a shame it's not quite as good.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Alex Bledsoe's 'Burn Me Deadly', sequel to 'The Sword Edged Blonde'. The balance still isn't quite right, between the fantasy and hardboiled detective elements, but the characterisation and plot made this one a compulsive read as far as I was concerned. My full review is over Here. I've got a few books on the go right now but it's 'Fast Ships, Black Sails' (a pirate anthology) that's getting the most attention at the moment.

skandranon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading David Gemmells two Skilgannon novels, (White wolf and The swords of night and day) it is a great shame there will be no more from him, what a storyteller!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Andy Remic's 'Kell's Legend', the homage to Druss/David Gemmell was laid on a little too thick but (other than that) it was a fun read that made the morning commute a little easier to bare. I'd definitely pick up the next one. My full review is over Here. I've got no idea what I'm going to read next but I've got plenty to choose from...

Kerela

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I needed (yet another) break from Storm of Swords I started with 'Tha Father of Forensics - How Sir Bernard Spilsburry invented the modern CSI' which is quite faszinating. I'd read about him in several other books about forensics but never had one that focusses just on him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading 'My Dead Body', the final instalment in Charlie Huston's 'Joe Pitt' series. I enjoyed this just as much as I have the others but I wasn't too sure about how Huston tied off some of the loose ends. Having Pitt deal with his adversaries one by one sometimes felt more like Huston saying goodbye to his characters rather than telling a story... My full review is over Here. I've got a few books on the go right now but the one in my bag is Joe Schrieber's 'No Doors, No Windows'...

James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone all 'classics' because, criminally, I hadn't read a single English or French piece of classic literaature bar Shakespeare until the last few months.

So, have finished 'The Great Gatsby' and enjoyed it. Light and easy and a window into the decadence of post war American upper class society.

Now reading 'The Mayor of Casterbridge' by good old T Hardy. I was kind of worried I'd find it a huge pile of thick literatic (if there is such a word) sludge. But actually, I'm rather enjoying it. neat twists nad turns just when you think you've got it worked out. Some engaging writing and it's good to read the language of the period and find it fun to decipher when you have to.

After this, it's 'Germinal' French literature... but translated thank heavens.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never really get into Hardy but I did manage to read 'The Mayor of Casterbridge', it wasn't bad at all Very Happy I've been trying to avoid saying that 'The Great Gatsby' is great but... well, it is Very Happy

Finished reading C.L. Anderson's 'Bitter Angels' where a secret agent must get to the bottom of a murder mystery (that could be so much more) in a solar system edging towards either self destruction or declaring all out war on everyone else. I loved the concept but the glacial pace really turned me off, especially in terms of what it did to the main character... My full review is over Here. I'm now well into 'Unseen Academicals'...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 22 of 34

Jump to: