James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trilogy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Writing the Elves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rups

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Trilogy Reply with quote

Heh James

Just wondered, did you plan out all three books in depth, with a plot/event tree before writing the first book?

Or is it all off the cuff Wink
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't all planned out in depth but all are plotted and the key characters are known. Things are still subject to change as I go on because writing is an organic process (for ma anyway) but I have a clear idea of how the whole troilogy will pan out.
Rups

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh James,

Fair enough chap.

I know some people who spend more time creating the path/event tree than actually writing the story...

When you were half way through, did you think of a new char/event and have to go back and insert it earlier in the book? This happened to me and in the end, I just should've started again I think.

Is it true that the first 20,000 words should be thrown away? I can't remember where I read this, but it could of been the legend himself, Mr David Gemmell.
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only redrafted a book from scratch once and that was Once Walked With Gods as it happens.

So i'd say, no, only throw the first 20K away if they are pants...
Patrick Mahon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, how is Book 2 going? I got the impression, from another message you posted on here a few weeks back, that you'd hit a snag? Is that resolved now? I rather hope so, as I'm very keen to see Book 2 come out asap! Very Happy
Patrick Mahon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James - this may be a stupid question, but is a map of Calaius available anywhere? The Raven books all include a map of Balaia, but I can't say that I've seen an equivalent map of the southern continent. Have you done one?
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't, Patrick. I only ever drew a rough, just enough to get me through the geography and timings and distance stuff. I didn't think it would interest anyone, it being almost all trees with just a temple or two and a couple of cities chucked in. Perhaps I was wrong.
Patrick Mahon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see your map, if you were happy to share it here. Calaius may not have that many geographical features compared to the northern continent, but given how much story you've managed to pack in there in the last two books, it would be great to see the setting 'in the flesh' (or 'in the wood' perhaps?).
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can do... could be a while though, not even sure where my rough is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Writing the Elves All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: