James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Reading <cont 5>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading M. John Harrison's 'The Pastel City'. One of the more depressing books I've ever read (it's the end of the world and it feels like everything is an exercise in futility...) but really thought provoking at the same time. Have a look at everything else that I thought about it over Here. For a complete change of pace, I'm now well into Diana Rowland's 'Mark of the Demon'...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Kerela

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started with the first book from Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. So far not much has happened, but I enjoy it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets better... then it gets a little worse... then you're stuck waiting with the rest of us! Very Happy

Finished reading Diana Rowland's 'Mark of the Demon', a Louisiana detective must solve a serial killer case whilst trying to work out why her demon summoning has gone wrong in the worst possible way... The blurb made me cringe but this is actually a really good read, things are tied up a little too neatly but it's an entertaining police story with a hint of the supernatural...
My full review is over Here. Absolutely no idea what I'll be reading next...

Kerela

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added to my amazon-wishlist Laughing Supernatural detectives sound like a lot of fun for me Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
butterfly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay finished A Feast for Crows by Mr Martin, was slightly disappointed since it split the characters and for some reason I suddenly flashed on the same feeling I had reading book 7 of the Wheel of Time but only for a moment, thank god!! Have to go and get the next so....
My friend has given me Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr in the meantime.
I also got two boxes of books from my parents that they 'discovered' just as I thought I had finished the shelves. Loads of series I had started and hadn't finished - like Steve Cockayne, William Corlett and so on.
My husband says I have enough to last the week!!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finished reading Simon Bestwick's 'Tide of Souls' where the UK not only has to deal with rising floods but the massed ranks of the undead that lie beneath the waters... I loved the concept behind the appearance of the undead (although the explanation was a bit laboured) and, despite the writing getting a bit formulaic at times, I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the book as well. My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off Henry Zou's 'Emperor's Mercy' and Christie Golden's 'Omen' (Star Wars tie-in)...

Max Power

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I said, but I've recently finished Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy - absolutley fantastic, had me all the way through. If I have one minor grumble, the ending felt a tiny bit forced and quick (a bit deus ex machina as well) but that is being picky.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Christie Golden's 'Omen' Star Wars tie-in. While it has a lot of the same problems that 'Outcast' (its predecessor) did it manages to be one hell of a lot more entertaining read. My full review is over Here. I'm still working my way through 'Emperor's Mercy' and have also started reading an ARC of F.G. Cottam's 'The House of Lost Souls'...

skandranon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian Camerons second Tyrant book Storm of Arrows. I enjoyed this as much as the first and will be eagerly awaiting the next one.
OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a good book isnt it, have you tried any other historical fiction titles mate?
if not try
Conn Igguldens Ghengis series
simon Scarrows Eagles Series

Both of those will keep you busy for a while and are excellent fun.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Henry Zou's 'Emperor's Mercy', a tale of the Inquisition in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. This was a slow plodding book at times and the flashes of potential only served to show how annoying the rest of the book could be. Plenty there to put me off but just enough to keep me going... My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off 'House of Lost Souls'...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading the ARC of F.G. Cottam's 'The House of Lost Souls', where dark magic spawned in the nineteen twenties reaches out into present day London... This was a genuinely scary book that was spoilt only by the author waxing overly lyrical about student life in eighties London. There's only so much scene that needs to be set! My full review is over Here. The plan now is to finish Chris Wooding's 'Retribution Falls' over the weekend...

skandranon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it is a good book isnt it, have you tried any other historical fiction titles mate?

Ive read William Napiers Attilla series and thats good , but i will give those others a try thanks. Very Happy
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Chris Wooding's 'Retribution Falls', a tale of the pirate airship 'Ketty Jay' and the attempts of her crew to escape the bounty that her captain has inadvertently put on their heads. I really enjoyed reading about the exploits of the 'Ketty Jay' but the 'pulp format' and sparse world building (in places) took the shine off things a little bit. My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off Tim Waggoner's 'Nekropolis' and Judith Tarr's 'Bring down the Sun'...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Tim Waggoner's 'Nekropolis' where a zombie private eye has to save his city as well as stop bits of him falling off... I liked the concept, and it's a solid enjoyable read, but things got a bit too predictable at times and I wasn't too sure about the cityscape was utilised over the course of the book. My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off 'Bring down the Sun'...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 19 of 34

Jump to: