James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comic Books and Graphic Novels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Comic Books and Graphic Novels Reply with quote

There isn't a comic sub forum here so I thought I'd start a thread instead Very Happy

Do you guys read comics or graphic novels (or both)? (Or do you think they're just for kids...? Shocked ) There was so much for me to choose from but have finally settled on collecting 'The Walking Dead' and 'The Goon' both of which have become essential reading as far as I'm concerned. I'm resisting the urge to deal a mortal blow to my debit card by buying the rest of the 'Sandman' and 'Fables' books as well...

What about you guys?

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I've ever got into is the Strangehaven series by Gary Spencer-Milledge as recommended to me by Lizzy and which is excellent! Very Happy

I did buy Artemis Fowl the graphic novel but I'm afraid it didn't gel with the way I'd imagined it after reading the novel and was way too abridged! Crying or Very sad
OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like have a lot of 2000ad stuff also some of the dark Knight and also some superman stuff.
I also have the watchman and some charlies war as well, and some old commando war stories collections
Alia

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read lots of comics and graphic novels. And we mostly buy them, which costs a lot. But I reckon, in terms of costly hobbies, this one is at least pretty harmless.

I love Gaiman's work, both in novels and in comics, which means I have all Sandman books, "Neverwhere", "Black Orchid" and virtually everything that has come out in Poland so far. But I also like Alan Moore ("The Watchmen" and particularly "V for Vendetta"), Frank Miller ("Sin City" and some Batman books). There is also a very interesting series "100 Bullets" by Azarello and Risso, very modern in style.

There are also a lot of Polish comics in different styles, and we buy them too. Especially as we know the majority of Polish comic artists Wink. Every year there is a kind of comic fair in Warsaw, we go there, see what's new, buy things - and then go for a drink with the crowd.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting more in to them. As Jov said started with Strangehaven, and now steadily devouring the Sandman ones. Totally adore these, Morpheus is fab and Death a real babe. They seem to convey much more than the sum of the words and the pictures.

I suspect I'll give Alan Moore a go too

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Thraun

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid I'm more of a Manga fan than Marvel/DC etc. Tend to read a lot of mine online as well.
Selik

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online is cool, until your eyes go funny. But then as I do most of my personal business links etc via the internet that doesn't help.
You sit for hours staring at a screen and then go read...... by staring at a screen. My eyes protestoth muchly!

Besides I also have an obsession with paper. A book/comic has to be on paper. I'm even having to get a book shelf for the landing to fit all my manic obsessional readings Shocked
Grace

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphic novels are great. Very Happy I'm a particular fan of Alan Moore - especially Watchmen, V for Vendetta and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (so very different to the films!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: