James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Reading <cont 5>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selik

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do all your reading on the tube?! How long is the journey? Shocked Oh and if you've not seen it already, I highly recommend seeing Michael McIntyre's comedic sketch on people who read on the tube...fantastic Wink
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those journeys that doesn't take long but feels like it lasts forever... Shocked I'm a quick reader as well Wink

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Selik

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a northerner, I don't often travel on the tube but when I have no journey has ever felt forever. Maybe I need to be a southerner Wink
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't say that if you had to do a 'London Commute' every day! Shocked

Just finished reading Andy Remic's 'BioHell', three seriously tooled up soldiers against a planet full of zombies...! 'BioHell' works as a big, brash, blockbuster but I was left wanting a little bit more from it (especially when that was what it seemed to be promising), my full review is over Here.
I'm now reading Kelley Armstrong's 'The Awakening', Lane Robin's 'Kings & Assassins' and Tim Lebbon's 'Fallen'...

TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzy wrote:
Just read Temeraire. Really really enjoyed it. Can't put my finger on why. The story is straightforward, the ending quite open for the next one. Nothing really alarming happens but it flowed along beautifully. Temeraire is a dragon on a par with Sha Kaan (just). Laurence, the main character is not complex, just very British and stiff upper lipped, full of etiquette and so on but not stuffy.

Thanks for reminding me about this book Lizzy, forgot I'd got it but I too enjoyed it and look forward to reading some more! Very Happy
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets better and better, I can't wait to see how that one ends... Very Happy

Finished reading Kelley Armstrong's 'The Awakening'; I've really enjoyed her other books but this one was not only a meandering affair but meandered straight into a conclusion that was overshadowed by a big dose of 'Come Back To Find Out What Happens In The Next Book!' There's a real 'middle book in a trilogy' feel to this that I wasn't too keen on... There is a review on the blog but blogger is playing silly buggers right now so it may not be there if you look (link in my sig if you fancy a go but you might have to hit refresh...)

I'm now well into Lane Robins' 'Kings and Assassins' as well as Tim Lebbon's 'Fallen'...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Lane Robins' 'Kings and Assassins', a book with the most self-explanatory title ever! It's a tough one to get into at first (very slow) but it's worth if for a tale full of scheming and intrigue with occasional bursts of dazzling swordplay. My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off Tim Lebbon's 'Fallen'...

OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outlaw: Angus Donald follows Alan Dale and tells the story of Robin Hood, only its not the nice and twee story we have come to see on the TV, its a rough and ready outlaw lord, who has his kingdom to run and cannot put up with traitors, blood and guts and fighting a plenty
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Tim Lebbon's 'Fallen', a book of voyages, and voyagers, that's driven by a sense of the unknown (just beyond the horizon) but suffers from occasional slow pacing and a pivotal plot moment that demands a character act... well... out of character. I thought so anyway. My full review is over Here.
Absolutely no idea what to read next...

Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toll the Hounds.............
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Christie Golden's 'Arthas: Rise of the Lich King' (World of Warcraft tie-in). If you're a Warcraft fan then I reckon you'll love it but all I found was an incredibly whiny main character and a bunch of others whose only purpose seemed to be to show their names in the right places (it must be a Warcraft book, it's got.... in it!) It wasn't a bad read as such but it definitely needed to do a lot more to make up for the fact that everyone knows how the book ends... My full review is over Here.
I'm now polishing off Karen Traviss' 'No Prisoners' (Clone Wars tie-in) and working my way through Richard Williams' 'Reiksguard'...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Karen Traviss’ ‘No Prisoners’; a Clone Wars 'tie in' that is full of action and explosions but doesn't have the page count for Traviss to properly explore her characters in the way that she is best at. My full review is over Here. I'm now working my way through Richard Williams' 'Reiksguard' as well as Harry Turtledove's 'Give Me Back My Legions'...

Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

started TtH.......... gave up after a few pages. NOT because its rubbish but because i'm now saving it to take to Oklahoma with me.

Reading Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd. And i likes it.
butterfly

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison. Not too bad so far but you really need to have read the previous books.
Selik

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swarfthief by Deborah Miller. It's a good in between book, but a bit slow for my liking. I may read the other two as and when I can, but i'm not overly enthusiastic.
Then again I got the whole way through it which isn't bad since she's female Razz I've only just found 1 female author whose work I actually really like, so I suppose finishing it is a good start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 17 of 34

Jump to: