James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Reading <cont 5>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzy wrote:
Deornoth have you read the Madness of Angels? Just seen tht trailer on Orbit's youtube. Looks good.

I certainly have and it's very good indeed Very Happy In fact, if Mike Carey didn't have a couple of new Felix Castor books out this year then I would have said that 'A Madness of Angels' is the best urban fantasy you're likely to read this year...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently reader the Riverworld Series by Phillip Jose Farmer , im on book 2 Fabulous River Boat the first book being to your scattered bodies go.

TO YOUR SCATTERED BODIES GO
All those who ever lived on Earth have found themselves resurrected--healthy, young, and naked as newborns--on the grassy banks of a mighty river, in a world unknown. Miraculously provided with food, but with no clues to the meaning of their strange new afterlife, billions of people from every period of Earth's history--and prehistory--must start again.

Sir Francis Bacon would be the first to glimpse the incredible way-station, a link between worlds. This forbidden sight would spur the renowned 19th-century explorer to uncover the truth. Along with a remarkable group of compatriots, including Alice Liddell Hargreaves (the Victorian girl who was the inspiration for Alice in Wonderland), an English-speaking Neanderthal, a WWII Holocaust survivor, and a wise extraterrestrial, Burton sets sail on the magnificent river. His mission: to confront humankind's mysterious benefactors, and learn the true purpose--innocent or evil--of the Riverworld .

Fabulous River Boat

Grand Master Winner: Philip Jose Farmer
Resurrected on the lush, mysterious banks of Riverworld, along with the rest of humanity, Samuel Langhorne Clemens (a.k.a. Mark Twain) has a dream: to build a riverboat that will rival the most magnificent paddle-wheelers ever navigated on the mighty Mississippi. Then, to steer it up the endless waterway that dominates his new home planet--and at last discover its hidden source.

But before he can carry out his plan, he first must undertake a dangerous voyage to unearth a fallen meteor. This mission would require striking an uneasy alliance with the bloodthirsty Viking Erik Bloodaxe, treacherous King John of England, legendary French swordsman Cyrano de Bergerac, Greek adventurer Odysseus, and the infamous Nazi Hermann Göring. All for the purpose of storming the ominous stone tower at the mouth of the river, where the all-powerful overseers of Riverworld--and their secrets--lie in wait . . .

i hate SCI fi but am really quite enjoying these...
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finished reading Matthew Sturges' 'Midwinter', a tale of secret missions, intrigue and betrayal in the world of Faerie. Certain stylistic choices make this a difficult book to get into but it's well worth sticking with. The ending hints at more to come and I'd love to see this happen. My full review is over Here.
I've got Mark Newton's 'Nights of Villjamur', Anthony Reynolds 'Dark Disciple' and an ARC of Nate Kenyon's 'The Bone Factory' on the go right now. Don't know which one I'll finish first...

Alia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently reading "Zadra" - a kind of New Weird novel by Polish writer Krzysztof Piskorski - he received ESFS Encouragement Award at this year's Eurocon. But I must admit so far it's not as good as MacLeod's "Light Ages", a bit too heavy on history, perhaps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished 'Nowhere Near an Angel' by Mark Morris and really enjoyed it! I'm afraid I'm not much of a reviewer but it tells the dark tale of an ex-punk and reformed criminal who has his life turned upside down when his past catches up with him! Shocked

Really enjoyed the punk references which brought back many happy (and some not so happy!) memories and it has more twists than Alton Towers! Very Happy
Lizzy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading his first novel, Toady at the mo. Enjoying that alot.

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading 'The Bone Factory', a tale of horror in a snowbound Canadian town...
'The Bone Factory' does suffer from the dreaded 'info-dump' every now and then but still managed to both scare the life out of me and keep me reading. I think Nate Kenyon could become a new favourite of mine, my full review is over Here.
I'm now down to 'Dark Disciple' and 'Nights of Villjamur' and it looks like 'Dark Disciple' will be finished next...

Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished 'Rides a Dread Legion' by Ray Feist. I like my Feist, you know what you're going to get but you can't help yourself anyway... that said, I was a little underwhelmed by this one. It's a good enough read but you read it knowing it's the start of a new series and it has an unfinished feel. That said, given the sheer amount of heavy-hitting characters who've been brought in, and what they're seemingly coming up against, I can't help but have high hopes for the next couple.

Finally, finally we may get to see Pug ANGRY!! Twisted Evil
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote:

Oh I don't know, don't I recall him chucking his toys out the pram when he was on Kelewan Question Very Happy
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Anthony Reynolds' 'Dark Disciple', a tale of the depredations of Chaos Space Marines in the Warhammer 40k universe. This is a book where you can tell how it's going to end but the fun is in getting there. Loads of heavy weaponry and alien scum bearing the brunt of it! My full review is over Here.
I'm now well into my ARC of 'Nights of Villjamur' and things are getting to be very good now. I think this one will be worth looking out for...

Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheJovialGnome wrote:
Drizzt wrote:

Oh I don't know, don't I recall him chucking his toys out the pram when he was on Kelewan Question Very Happy

That was Milamber... Razz
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote:
TheJovialGnome wrote:
Drizzt wrote:

That was Milamber... Razz

Smart arse!! Laughing
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading 'Nights of Villjamur', a book that wears it's influences a little too obviously but makes up for this with a plots and characters that are totally engaging. There's something for everyone and the wait for the sequel starts here as far as I'm concerned. My full review is over Here.
I'm now starting on Robert Redick's 'The Red Wolf Conspiracy'...

Milkman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished James Webb's 'Fields of fire'

Its a novel based in the Vietnam war from the perspective of several marines, how they got into the war, life durring the war and then, gut wrenchingly, them getting killed. I had trouble breathing after I finished it. That's how hard I took some of the deaths, and I honestly felt scared for the one remaining survivor because of the pain he would have to live with having lost all of his friends...and how could the author kill of Hodges and leave Mitsuko without her happily ever after? I seriously had trouble breathing.
OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geas: Jon Webb

In a backwater province of the Apollonian Empire, a lowly Brother-Priest has a vision. Leaving a garbled message that something malign has escaped back into the world, he goes missing. But why did he not report this to the proper authorities? Why did he steal treasures from the temple mausoleum before leaving? And what of the message he left behind and the heretical theories it divulged?

Plagued by visions of his past, a faithless Inquisitor uncovers the Brother-Priest's disappearance. Intent on rekindling his faith or revealing the Brother-Priest to be a fraud, the Inquisitor gives chase. If he succeeds then perhaps Spiritual Harmony - the enforcement organisation that oversees the various state religions - will again look favourably upon him.

But another is also interested in the fate of the Brother-Priest - a Thaum-Agent awakens and stirs the Guild into action.

A collision course is set.

This is an excellently written book, with well rounded characters, my gauge for any book is do i care what happens to the main characters? if the answer is yes then the author is doing his job properly. Jon does this in spades, the plot flies along sweeping up the reader and carrying him on a ride through a new world filled with danger and intrigue...i look forward to the next book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 15 of 34

Jump to: