James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RavenSoul ** SPOILERS***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wulfa_Coldheart wrote:
Before I give my thoughts on the book, I wanted to ask James something – do you have it in for the people of Balaia?

You know I was wondering the same myself. Razz

Quote:
Ravensoul had me in a whole range of emotions. I laughed, I got excited, I got angry, but I got all teary eyed at some of the heart-rending stuff I’ve ever read. The Barons final drink togetherI liked most of the mini-character development arcs – Jonas and Denser/Densyr in particular.

Barons final drink part was excellent and the part where Denser changes his name. Such a tiny thing and yet...not!
Definately glad Ravensoul was written. Very Happy
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Wulfa, yes I do. One of them sold me a dodgy loaf of bread one day and then, after a night in the Rookery, I tripped ona badly laid flagstone outside in the street and I definitely, definitely heard laughter.

Annihilation's too good for 'em I say.
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's a question. I don't recall any mention of the lower levels of Xetesk. Now, given that a certain character was locked in a cell, I wondered what might have become of him Razz
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My money is on Selik joining the living in the new realm...
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except as you worked out a minute ago, that's not technically possible Razz However, he's got to be kicking about somewhere... go on, say he is. You know you want to Laughing
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may have been no mention of the lower levels of Xetesk but as you'll recall, the whole place got pretty much levelled when Dystran triggered the Heart's destruction.

I wouldn't be holding my breath concerning his chances of survival if I was you, what with that nasty cudgel-inspired head wound as well...
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, so you gave me all that false hope in the message at the beginning of the Ascendants book. That's just mean Razz
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually off to go sulk in a corner somewhere Wink
Max Power

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst we're on favourite characters, I was wondering if James could explain the reference to Styllian. He had half a line from Denser, I think and I'd like to know a bit more if that's possible. Thanks.
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it'd have been cool to see more of Styliann, but then like Selik, since he's dead and not a Raven member, he's not so hugely important. Wink I guess. (Though I will still sulk and be very grumpy come next fancon;-) )
Tk421

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Yes, Wulfa, yes I do. One of them sold me a dodgy loaf of bread one day and then, after a night in the Rookery, I tripped ona badly laid flagstone outside in the street and I definitely, definitely heard laughter.

Annihilation's too good for 'em I say.

Somewhat scarily perhaps I could actually hear you say that in my head just then.

Right... there are definitely SPOILERS COMING IN HERE.

For me Ravensoul was like the reunion tour of a big rock band who'd split up/retired whatever years before. You hear the whisperings that it's going to happen and you felt torn in two. One part of you thinks "this is going to be so incredibly cool I may well wee in my pants!" whereas the other half is saying "Will it go too far? Will it destroy the legend for me?" I'm glad I listened more to the first part. I didn't wee my pants though.

I had thought seeing Hirad's shadow in the rookery was to be my favourite scene at first. Then came the Raven's meeting in Xetesk, then Thraun's return to his pack, then this and this and this... it goes on. I gasped as the raven were all but left for dead (again) in their first encounter with the Garonin and Densyr turning on his better family. There were tears in my eyes all throughout Sol's goodbye to his family. My favourite moment of all was actually one line and the anticipation it caused. I did nearly wee at that point so I had to put the book down for a bit. That one line - "We are one". After that, I couldn't wait to see the Protectors smacking the crap out of the Garonin and their fancy smancy armour. Such a fitting line though considering the whole thing about the Ravensoul.

Thank you James for adding in this possibly final chapter and not destroying a legend.
Kerela

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wulfa_Coldheart wrote:

Whilst I would have loved the Raven books to have gone on, I can’t think of a more fitting ending for them. Thank you James.

I couldn't have put it better. I was sceptical at the beginning, and after I've read about half of it I was already wondering, if it would have a happy ending at all, or at least a very very unhappy happy end.
I cried a few times while reading it, and that really means something as I can count the times I cried through purely fictional books on one hand. (And I was actually surprised by myself, that I cried when erienne kame back in the final battle, she was never one of my favourite characters).

I'm really happy that I started reading it at the end of 2008 and finished it today Very Happy so the last year ended, and the new year began with a great book Wink .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rups

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVED Ilks' line - I've never been licked by a warrior before!

I laughed out loud, on a plane, with headphones on. By the looks I was getting, must have been quite a loud laugh...
Wulfgar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to show off or anything, but I got a signed copy of Ravensoul from my girlfriend for Christmas! Very Happy Very Happy
Rups

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that depends on who signed it fella!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> The Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: