James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Reading <cont 5>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying Erikson's stuff but, I dunno, there's a lot going on without much point and at times the narrative is too big for its own good... yet, the core characters keep me turning the pages.

Coltaine was a brilliant character, but he's not alone.
Max Power

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coltaine, Whiskeyjack, Quick Ben, Kalam are all really good characters, but I agree, there are scenes that you read and go, "what was the purpose of that?" However, I keep turning those pages too!
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the feeling of missing something that keeps me reading them...... You forgot Fiddler and Kruppe...........
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to be at an evening where Kruppe and Iskaral Pust are the afterdinner speakers. Laughing
Alia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some time over Christmas to finish Scalzi's "Old Man's War". I really liked it, it's fun to read, entertaining and fast-paced.

I'm going to spend some time on the train at the weekend, which means I have to choose something else to read - perhaps the second Lynch novel.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im currently reading the Preacher graphic novels. Well reading and looking at the pretty pictures. Not long finished reading Ravensoul and needed some light reading lol.
Kerela

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravensoul.
Right now I really want to slap a certain character Twisted Evil repeatedly Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading "Red Seas under Red Skies" - and I must say I'm enjoying it more than book one. Somehow, I feel more sympathy for Locke and Jean than in "The Lies of Locke Lamora".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently going through 'A Darkness Forged in Fire' by Chris Evans. Right now the only thing keeping me going is the main character Konowa, however even this may not be enough.
It seems very confused as to what age group it's aimed at. The innuendo and comedic sentences within the songs and rhymes throughout would ordinarily suggest adult, but some of the actual printed text is done in an unnecessarily experimental way (much like a kid playing with the blood dripping text or wingdings in works).
Also, i'm unsure as to why there had to be a full page-sized image of a notice, when all he had to do was to describe it.

You'll also have to get used to the idea of Elves wielding muskets!
To be honest i'm really disappointed, because reading the back of the book, it sounded like it'd be a great read. Now, I definitely don't agree with the ststement from the New York Times, "A Masterful debut- if JRR Tolkien and Bernard Cornwell had a literary love child, this would be it."

Well, no it would not. I look forward to reading something with more substance to it.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik - I'm hassling various people to make sure that you get your book Very Happy

I finished reading Edward Lerner's 'Fools' Experiments' over the holiday, a tale of artificial intelligence set loose on the internet and the chaos that it causes... I loved the concept behind the book but wasn't so keen on the execution with a repetitive plot, heavy handed moralising and an overly technical narrative all combining to make things really drag. My full review is over Here.
I'm working my way through Ian Cameron Esslemont's 'Return of the Crimson Guard' but have taken a short break to read 'Ender's Game'.

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Selik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
Selik - I'm hassling various people to make sure that you get your book Very Happy

Good stuff. Keep it up Wink
Max Power

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote:
I would love to be at an evening where Kruppe and Iskaral Pust are the afterdinner speakers. Laughing

If only to watch the Bridgeburners start a fight to stop the interminable, random conversations!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik wrote:
Deornoth wrote:

Your book should be in the post tomorrow, Monday at the latest Very Happy

I've just finished reading Orson Scott Card's 'Ender's Game' which I really enjoyed right up until the end which felt to me like a bit of an anti-climax... It was still good fun though and I'm hoping for more of the same from 'Ender in Exile' when I get round to that. My full review is over Here.
I've now got David Gemmell's 'The King Beyond the Gate' on the go and I'm also still working my way through 'The Return of the Crimson Guard'...

Selik

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Deornoth"]
Selik wrote:
Deornoth wrote:

Nice one. Cheers Deornoth
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to read/re-read some David Gemmell books this month and first up is 'The King Beyond the Gate'. The themes of heroism, honour etc are displayed in force but felt, to me, a little bit too much like everything else I've read of his work. It's a good job then that the story itself is a belter of a read with bonecrunching pitched battle and a look into the minds of the people fighting their way through the story. My full review is over Here.
This week is a week of finishing books off and these are Charlie Huston's 'The Mystic Arts of Erasing all Signs of Death' and Charles De Lint's 'The Mystery of Grace'...

*Edited so as not to post directly after myself* Very Happy

I've just finished reading an advance copy of Charles de Lint's 'The Mystery of Grace' (due out in March), a tale of love and the supernatural obstacles that it must overcome. An absolutely gorgeous book that I ended up really getting into, my full review is over Here.
I'm finishing off the last few pages of 'The Mystic Arts of Erasing all Signs of Death' and I've also started on R.A. Salvatore's 'The Ancient'.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 8 of 34

Jump to: